Sign in to follow this  
strat919

Problems with ILS vectors to runway

Maybe someone could help me out here. I'm flying a short flight from KSAN to KLAX. In simbrief the plan calls for a sid for departure and no star for arrival. I setup the ILS approach in Pilot2atc and the plan validates and files correctly. Everything goes well until atc starts setting up vectors to the ILS approach on runway <>. It looks like it is correct until it leaves me off a good ways to one side. Doesn't line me up. I've tried this about 5 times and it is always the same. I have a Navigraph account and have airac 2006 installed in both X-plane 11 and Pilot2atc. I am spot on and prompt on heading changes. Also I have tried approaches from both wind directions and still the same. Thanks

I can't tell for sure what happened on your flight without seeing the log, but on vectors to an ILS, you will be given a final heading toward the ILS and cleared for the ILS, which you must then intercept final using your AutoPilot or hand flying the HSI.  You will not get a turn that lines you up on final.

Dave

I have had this happen a couple times as well. Just after I pick up the GS, something sends me veering left, way out of the approach, and I have to abort. I've tried to re-create it, running repeated approaches with P2A connected and not connected, with P2A approaches programmed into my Garmin and without, and I have not yet re-created it. I don't know what's up. 

Ok, it just happened...

Cessna 172 Skyhawk.

Approaching CYVR 26R. 

All is well, approach very accurate, descent accurate, reported field in sight and entered glide slope. 

Just as I switched from GPS nav to runway 26R ILS nav frequency as indicated by X-Plane map window (111.95), something sends me 45 degrees right, out of glide slope and that's that. 

Now, one thing I should mention is that my P2A is on Airac 1801, while my X-Plane 11 runs on the default 1708. This is something I am still trying to figure out how to reconcile. Could the runway's NAV frequency have changed, and my VOR wants to go elsewhere? Doesn't seem like that would be the case because X-Plane is telling me the runway's frequency. Man, I'm confused. I will now try the same flight with P2A disconnected.

If you need log info, I'm not sure how to get that to you. Let me know. 

Thank you. 

This has nothing to do with P2A.  P2A is not involved in flying the approach, only the aircraft autopilot and you.

When you switch from GPS to VLOC with the correct ILS frequency dialed in, you also need to press the APPR button.  And you want to be sure that you have not yet intercepted the Glide Slope when you do that, otherwise, GS may not engage. 

Dave

Well, that's good news! I did actually select APPR and ALT did switch to ALT GS. 

So, you're saying one needs to switch from GPS to VLOC before entering the glide slope or things get wacky?  I never realized that and never noticed before I got P2A. 

I appreciate the response and I'm really glad it's not P2A, because I think the program is absolutely amazing! 

Thank you so much.

-Ken