Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

usb 2 and windows2004 update

Hi guys,

Hopefully some one can offer a solution or better still a fix

Yesterday I got the message that I can upgrade to windows 10 2004 update which I did. However after restarting I had several devices that had stop working or had disappeared. After a little troubleshooting I think I have found the problem.

The devices that had stopped working were all in usb 3 ports (the blue ones) as soon as I plugged the devises into non blue usb ports they all started to work again. As I do not have many spare usb 2 ports left, how do I check if its a usb 3 problem or with the update to 2004 stopping usb2 devices working in a usb3 port or has the update done something to the usb 3 ports

Thanks

Pete Little

I suggest that you provide some more information about your hardware. For example, what motherboard do you have? Are there BIOS and driver updates available from the mobo manufacturer? You can check the status of the USB controllers by using the Windows control panel device manager applet. Also, although you probably aren’t, are you overclocking the CPU?

• Upvote 1

I was just about to update  after doing more digging

It is definitely the usb3 roothubs that are the problem. in device manager they all have a small ! mark against them. Curiously  it seems intermittent now. I deleted and then switched off  the pc and allowed them to reinstall and occasionally they work again until I reboot then they stop.

I have a fairly old pc an i'm using the rampage 4 extreme mobo. and I am over clocked as far as I can tell I have the latest bios drivers but as its an old board,so is the bios

will keep digging and see if I can fix

Pete Little

final update

Success!! my mobo doesn't like the generic windows 10 usb3 drivers.

As you suggested I had a quick look on the mobo website for anything that might help. My bios was the latest version I thought I would try the usb drivers again for  the mobo despite being from 2016. The drivers supplied from the windows 10 update were generic Microsoft drivers. I figured out why they would work sometime then stop.

But installing the drivers from ROG removed the generic ones and all now working as expected.

This might be obvious to some but as I've not built a new pc in a few years I had forgotten all the obvious steps. so thanks jabloom for nudgeing me back in the right direction in checking the obvious and doublechecking stuff.

• Upvote 1

Pete Little