Sign in to follow this  
Deltaair1212

ORBX airports without regions

Hello fellow simmers. Does anyone have a list of which ORBX airports will work without their respected regions? Or just any general leads of maybe people that know some off the top of their heads? I own KBZN, KIDA, 65S, KTVL, KSTS, KPSP, KMBS, KGPI, and L35. I would like to know if maybe some Alaskan airports are good to go with just the base pack? Or what about KMRY, or KSFF? Even with my i7-8700K and RTX 2070, with all my other stuff running in the background my system falls on its face with a region installed I just can’t run them. 

I believe on the product page on the website you can open the user guide and it has a section titled something like "what you will miss without ..." explaining exactly what the consequences are of not having a 'prerequisite' installed. Most of them seem to speak to blending with the surrounding terrain more than anything else 

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

That advice isn't always consistent though. There are at least a couple of Bill Womack ORBX Washington add-ons, for example,  that simply will not work at all without the Washington pack. From memory they include Cushman Meadows and Starks Twin Oaks. But even then, many if not most of the Washington airfields will have incorrect elevation relative to their surroundings without the corresponding world scenery elevation correction bgl files. And in most cases those correction files are only included in the regional pack anyway.

Additionally, Milford Sound in NZ will not work without the NZ South Island regional pack even if the manual says anything to the contrary.

I should add that all my comments above were gleaned from painstaking weeks of experience trying anything and everything to get certain airfields to work without a region pack. Like the original poster, even though I only built my latest machine two months ago, attempting to fly anywhere remotely close to Seattle, for example, is a slide show, so I have nearly all the Washington airfields installed, but no regional pack installed (but I did keep the elevation files from the pack I bought since as mentioned they are still required).

No such performance problems for other region packs I own such as Pacific Fjords and NZ South Island. But after the Washington experience I am too afraid to fork out for any more region packs.

Edited by JonP01

For certain airports, elevation problems result if some pre-requisite Orbx regions are not installed I found. One example being PAVD where the SAK region is needed.

I dont think there is any holistic list thats available but as CWburnett stated, you can review each of the Orbx pages and compile your own list of airports that either require a region or not to be in stalled. A bit time consuming but certainly possible.

You could post to the Orbx forum and see if they would be willing to compile a list for you.

Regards

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

KMRY has serious elevation issues without the region installed.

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2