Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

MCE and Push to Talk

I like to stream Flight simulator and I would really love to to use MCE but my issue is there isn't  a toggle for push to talk. I constantly have to talk to my viewers or comments what I am doing. I don't want MCE to listen while I am doing all of this stuff. Am I missing something ? And I can't obviously mute my mic....

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

1 hour ago, fogboundturtle said:

I like to stream Flight simulator and I would really love to to use MCE but my issue is there isn't  a toggle for push to talk. I constantly have to talk to my viewers or comments what I am doing. I don't want MCE to listen while I am doing all of this stuff. Am I missing something ? And I can't obviously mute my mic....

Years ago, we tried only enabling speech reco using a PTT before talking, if only because at the time, most PCs were single core CPU with limited amounts of memory and didn't want to hurt FS9 performance by having speech engine listening all the time.

It has a huge drawback. You would need to be self conscious all the time and hold off talking before the "system is ready". I mean speech engine woken up, and speech context ready to process speech input. It may only take a quarter or half a second but it's annoying to the point you'd need to repeat commands, especially when in stressful situations where you would need your FO to be super alert.

Therefore, that's not an option.

We did however build something similar in reverse.

You can talk to FO without pressing any key, but MCE listens to the <END> key which when seen "held down" assumes you're talking on Vatsim or other networks and will suspend all MCE speech reco until you release it.

If you can set a joystick button to emulate events <END key down> and <END key up>, you would achieve your objective. You just press the button when talking to your audience.

The other option, when you don't need to interact with FO or other crew members is to use the Numlock key to toggle "Speech reco OFF"(Keyboard Numlock lights up), "speech reco ON" (Numlock light goes off)

because of the potential disruption to the MCE Demo, Numlock functionality must be explicitly enabled in MCE "Advanced options" panel so that you're fully aware why no speech might be recognized. 

If you can't use Numlock for some reason, it's possible to use ScrollLock instead, but requires a workaround (setting a specific option in "fsInsider.ini")

Thanks for the reply

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.