Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

747-400ER (free updates to default)

Just curious if vnav is functional.  I've had problems with both dep and arr.

Also ap will not track glide slope.

1 hour ago, cgw44 said:

Also ap will not track glide slope.

could you record a video of it not tracking the glideslope, Ive literally never seen it not transition from glideslope armed to glideslope active once you reach it.

overweight maybe?

1 hour ago, cgw44 said:

Just curious if vnav is functional.

yes, by the book.

1 hour ago, cgw44 said:

I've had problems with both dep and arr.

which bit of the book didnt work?

AutoATC Developer

I will research these issues more and report back but I can tell you that I've never gotten the vnav on dep to work correctly.

After takeoff, it throttles back - does not accelerate to 250.  On descent it does not trak vnav profile.

3 hours ago, cgw44 said:

After takeoff,

do you toga?

3 hours ago, cgw44 said:

descent it does not trak vnav profile.

configured in the vnav descent page in the fmc?

AutoATC Developer

I have done several flights and still have issues.

do you toga?

yes and had the power decrease on takeoff and also large power decrease after takeoff. Do I arm vnav before takeoff - I did not do this.

configured in the vnav descent page in the fmc

Do I use custom vnav or xplane vnav?  I've used both and no difference.

There are 3 fmc's should I be using the one on the pilots side or should be using the on the center pedestal or does it matter?

You asked if I was overloaded - the GW was never over 700000 lbs {about 318000 kgs}.

As for the glideslope not tracking I noticed that there is the green loc letters on the pfd when tracking the loc but underneath the green loc display is another loc display in white where I assume the gs letters would be for the glideslope.

One last thing, when entering pos in the pos init page, the LAT/LON  show E-------S------- when it should be N-------W-------- for the Northern Hemisphere. 

3 hours ago, cgw44 said:

One last thing, when entering pos in the pos init page, the LAT/LON  show E-------S------- when it should be N-------W-------- for the Northern Hemisphere. 

thanks, this ones been fixed. the current beta 

https://github.com/mSparks43/747-400

code->download zip

is now quite a way ahead of the last release and getting reasonably close to a release itself now, thats one of the closed issues.

https://github.com/mSparks43/747-400/milestone/1?closed=1

The fmcs are pretty much independant but do work together, triple redundancy in case of failure.

take off cruise and landing procedure is described pretty thoroughly in the FMA review video

"it should do that"

theres more of those on

https://github.com/mSparks43/747-400/blob/master/documentation/tutorial videos.md

if you are still struggling its probably worth jumping on the discord server linked in the readme, thats populated pretty much 24/7 now with people racking up the flight hours in her - there's also a channel of flight test videos of people completing flights and showing problems.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

@mSparks is becoming the "Hardy Heinlin" of the XP 744 🙂

Congratulations and Thanks for the continuous efforts  Sparks !  Unfortunately I can't test it right now because I had to empty my SSD of XP and MFS to install DCS and enjoy the  P47 D+ Normandy + Channel Map and the UH-1H which I bought in the promoitional sales by ED 🙂  

I will test the newer versions of your 744 mod asap though ( a sim never lasts more than 15 days, at most 1 month, in my drives 🙂 ).

One good test for the performance you were able to achieve is described in this interesting, even if longish, thread at the Aerowinx Forums, which itself triggered a few PSX updates / patches. It describes a rather tricky ( regarding VNAV PTH prediction algorithm ) approach into KLAX - LAX IRON MAN ARRIVAL:

IRON MAN ARRIVAL at LAX : unable to follow the VNAV profile (aerowinx.com)

particularly here where Hardy "starts getting his engines hot ...": 

https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5120.msg54972#msg54972

and when he reaches cruise brain thrust here 🙂 :

https://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=5120.msg54993#msg54993

Give it a go if you find the time and see how your 744 performs 😉

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I echo all of the great feedback and I am having fun learning the systems.

Is the FMC supposed to be modeling the output of waypoint and destination etas? Or have I committed a user error?

When I click ‘PROG’ I see the waypoints but the distances and ETA columns are blank.

The distances appear in the LEGS menu page but that page is not designed to include etas.

Thank you!

Hmm. It was just a user error. I had no troubles on this second flight of the day, eta is populating. First flight was round robin, maybe confused things, or I just had a bad input somewhere.

@jcomm we're having something of a stressful debate over this one and I was wondering if you could come to the rescue

Could you try

V0j8y0n.png

In PSX and see if the autothrottle does not in fact need re-engaging when following the G/S captured procedure. (i.e. after turning off the AP and both flight directors the FMA is SPD|BLANK|BLANK rather than BLANK|BLANK|BLANK implied in that procedure)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

9 hours ago, mSparks said:

@jcomm we're having something of a stressful debate over this one and I was wondering if you could come to the rescue

Could you try

V0j8y0n.png  

In PSX and see if the autothrottle does not in fact need re-engaging when following the G/S captured procedure. (i.e. after turning off the AP and both flight directors the FMA is SPD|BLANK|BLANK rather than BLANK|BLANK|BLANK implied in that procedure)

Well Sparks, I am away from my home pc until next week, and I don't use any flightsims anymore but I'll forward the query to the aerowinx forum and I am sure someone will reply...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

6 hours ago, jcomm said:

I'll forward the query to the aerowinx forum and I am sure someone will reply.

Thnx, PSX looks like it SPD|BLANK|BLANK to. Word from a 744 pilot is

"disengage autopilot" in Boeing speak means "disengage autopilot and autothrottle"

6 hours ago, jcomm said:

I don't use any flightsims anymore

Have you VR? I'd probably be at that point to, but VR is a whole new world, and I'm hooked on getting my setup perfected so I can set my controls to be reasonably representative of any cockpit

AutoATC Developer

Hi  Sparks, in that thread there's already a couple answers, the link to the video might contain some hint here:

Yes I believe VR should be fun, but for the price of a good set i can pay all of my flights for the summer season 😉

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

the link to the video might contain some hint here:

yes, 4 min 48s in, SPD|BLANK|BLANK and didn't need to reengage the autothrottle contrary to that proceedure. technically it would appear the procedure is wrong, 744 guy uses the PC version: "badly worded" 

2 hours ago, jcomm said:

Yes I believe VR should be fun, but for the price of a good set i can pay all of my flights for the summer season 😉

Sure, but there is winter and the summer/winter of the next 5 years to think of, + it'll take you that long to get set up (OMFG, we're in June and I been working on the new setup since December 😞

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer