Sign in to follow this  
Guest garwig2

AI observations

Guest delsutton

I've notice a few things about AI since transferring my FS9 flightplans and models across.1. Using FS9 traffic, the Traffic % slider doesn't make any difference. Whether it's at 100% or 1% there are still the same number of aircraft on the ground and in the air. Works fine with the FSX traffic.2. Putting FS9 flightplans into the Scenery>World>Scenery folder causes the default FSX aircraft flightplans not to work. FSX is still calling them as removing the BGL causes a Scenery.dat error, but no FSX aircraft show up. I've know I've posted this before, so either it's just happening to me or no-one else has observed this yet. But I can't figure it out.3. The framerate of the FSX aircraft appears to be much better than my existing mixture of PAI, WoAI and AIA FS9 models. I haven't a major test, but at one airport from the same vantage point with 3 FS9 AI aircraft is was getting a framerate of 11fps whereas with FSX AI (and 5 aircraft) I was getting 15fps.Any comments most welcome.Del

Guest cwright

After using FSX for a week, last night I started looking more closely at the AI aircraft. I did note one very good improvement.In FS9, and particularly with big aircraft, when they turn when taxiing the motion tended to oscillate around the vertical axis. It looked awful. It looks like the action of a classic underdamped servomechanism.I saw no sign of this in FSX. The movements looked far more natural. However, the turning motion is still too accurate, with the nose wheel precisely following the taxi line. If the turning movements could be a bit more sloppy it would look much more realistic. But nevertheless the turning movements in FSX look a lot better.Oh, yes, one other great improvement. When an AI starts the takeoff run you can hear the engine spooling up to full power, a very nice effect. Sadly, when an aircraft reaches the parking bay the engine noise still cuts off instantly, which is completely unnatural. Microsoft did a great job with FSX, but they still have work to do....I was very impressed by the animations and service vehicles that attend the aircraft after reaching the parking bay. Overall, the visuals and sounds of AI aircraft and service vehicles on the ground are a great addition.Best regards, Chris

Maybe there's more scope in FSX to tinker with AI sounds and behaviour. Here's hoping ! :-)

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Hey Max,Are you the 'Flyhalf' of the "UK Flyers" video fame?If you are, absoloutley love it!Glenn

Guest garwig2

>2. Putting FS9 flightplans into the Scenery>World>Scenery>folder causes the default FSX aircraft flightplans not to>work...I noticed the same thing too. It reads my FS9 files fine but ignores the default file. I tried renaming the default Traffic file to fool FSX into thinking it was one of my files but that didn't work either. The next thing I want to try is to use the SDK to create new files but it looks like a lot of work from reading the SDK tutorial. I'm hoping someone can put together a "Dummie's guide" to using the SDK step by step.

Guest JamesJ

I cannot make this work either. A traffic bgl file added cancels out the default file. started a thread on this yesterday, got 2 responses, neither had any problems. Now I can't find my thread anywhere. Anyone else have this problem? JamesJ

1. Using FS9 traffic, the Traffic % slider doesn't make any difference. Whether it's at 100% or 1% there are still the same number of aircraft on the ground and in the air. Works fine with the FSX traffic.2. Putting FS9 flightplans into the Scenery>World>Scenery folder causes the default FSX aircraft flightplans not to work. FSX is still calling them as removing the BGL causes a Scenery.dat error, but no FSX aircraft show up. I've know I've posted this before, so either it's just happening to me or no-one else has observed this yet. But I can't figure it out.FS2004 traffic files are different from FSX traffic files. The .DLL's which run the game cannot read both at the same time.This difference is probably why the AI% slider is not working the same way - I'll have to look into that.You do know of course the the AI% slider does not give you a percentage of the AI traffic - only is a threshold for the % written into each flight plan.Since most download flightplans are set to 1% - you either get all or nothing.

something else... on an overnight flight "polar" from PANC to Stockholm (excuse me I am having a Trappistt moment) i was vectored on approach to bla bla left while the ai were vectored to the right parrelle which is cool not running over those saabs with the global 747greggd

Guest dutton

I have all of my AI from FS9 transferred over and all has been running fine for the last week. I did remove the default traffic file so I have yet to see any errors like reported.The one thing I did observe and live through now a few times is landing. If you try to cut someone off, or if they approve someone to land before you who is further out, better slow down or ATC will send you on an overshoot.The odd time, ATC tells you what number you are for landing, and other times not. I have yet to figure out when and how this happens. At least it would give you time to look if you were behind someone else to find them.duttonhttp://dutton.fsblogger.com/