Sign in to follow this  
TallTanBarbie

X-Plane 11 Crashes Mid Flight, NTDLL.DLL

Have any of you had this problem?

X-Plane 11 (Steam VR, Vive Pro headset) crashes in mid-flight, Event Viewer says the culprit is ntdll.dll.

Any aircraft, any region, doesn't matter.

Sometimes it happens within the first ten or fifteen minutes, sometimes after an hour. 

I've re-installed the display drivers (AMD) several times just to be sure but it's still happening.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

9 hours ago, TallTanBarbie said:

X-Plane 11 (Steam VR, Vive Pro headset) crashes in mid-flight, Event Viewer says the culprit is ntdll.dll.

Sometimes it happens within the first ten or fifteen minutes, sometimes after an hour. 

I've re-installed the display drivers (AMD) several times just to be sure but it's still happening.

Good luck finding the culprit.

Almost any software ends-up calling exported functions in Ntdll.dll even if the original developer didn't make the call directly.

Only a process of elimination would help.

Set PC back to stock freq in case you overclocked it.

Start with Default X-Plane release version and check it's stable.

Then add VR gear and ensure it's still stable.

Then add plugins one at a time and resist the urge to put 2 back at the same time (easier said than done)🙂.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TallTanBarbie said:

I couldn't even start beta 11 with an error of ntdll.dll - I found it was Avitab.  not working so well with windows 10 2004 update.

Hi Guys...thanks for the tip about plugins as a possible cause.  I'm just getting started with X-Plane and VR and the virus lockdown is giving me the time — LOL.  Took out the Real Sim Gear and Saitek plugins and made a couple of flights without the program crashing.

Took years getting stereo 3D to work in FSX and now VR has replaced 3D stereo.  The hardware is not cheap (Vive Pro Eye headset and 32GB GPU) and it's chore to get everything set up, but when it's working it looks really cool.  I started flying the summer before high school and it really feels like you are flying in a real plane — albeit whilst wearing binoculars with an invisible body.  The big drawback is that you can't "see" real world objects unlike 3D stereo projection on flat screens.

UPDATE:

It turns out the real culprit was the Active Sky weather plugin.

So far, I've not been able to get it to work with XP 11 and I'm using FS Global Real Weather for now.

22 hours ago, TallTanBarbie said:

UPDATE:

It turns out the real culprit was the Active Sky weather plugin.

So far, I've not been able to get it to work with XP 11 and I'm using FS Global Real Weather for now.

FS Global Real Weather is much better anyway for X-Plane 11.