Sign in to follow this  
Wringoon

Administrator

Hi Steve,

just loaded up DX 10 Scenery Fixer 5.4 and Cloud Shadow 3.2, all seems to work but getting a message from Diagnostics to do a check, when I do I get  ' WARNING! Your current user is not an administrator. If you ever run FSX as administrator then you should run DX10Controller as administrator', never had this before, I've checked my account, I am the administrator, I've started DX10 controller as administrator but warning sign remains???

Steve.

Hi

Some people may chose to set up their windows 10 system along the lines of linux with a standard user and a "root" user and it is this that the check is trying to detect. In this special case scenario the controller settings will be written to one location but if FSX is run as administrator by e.g. Active Sky then they will be read from a different location as the user involved will be different.

99.9% of customers will have the normal case where the main user is an administrator.

So for my user "Steve"  in the windows 10 user control panel "User Accounts"  if I select change user type I see that the Steve user is listed currently as "administrator"  which is the normal case.  If I actually went ahead and changed the type of user "Steve" not to be an administrator  then I would get the warning that you describe.

If you are getting the warning and the user you are running the controller as is an administrator then the check (which involves accessing Windows's tokens) must be failing silently and  returning a negative result.   This check was added in version 5.4.

Can you confirm again that your user is an administrator as I described above  - if so provide me an email address via a pm and I will build a new version with some extra checks to determine the issue for you.

Also is UAC enabled on your system?  - perhaps if it isn't enabled then this occurs.

Edited by SteveFx
  • Like 1

The issue was that the controller correctly checked if the user could elevate.  I had assumed that everyone would run the controller as a normal user.   If run as administrator then the check returned false (as no further elevation was possible) and the incorrect error was displayed.  I have disabled this check and released a new build of 5.4.

• Like 1

Steve has helped and supported me with this little problem, and I can confirm that his tweak has worked a treat and all is well again, the support Steve provides for DX10 Fixer is second to none and the product is fabby!!!, it's an OBE for you lad!!!!!

Thanks again Steve.