Sign in to follow this  
Kenjiro75

How do you taxi at large airports?

If you call up the VFR map by pressing the 'V' key on your keyboard, you can then zoom in on that map - to quite a detailed plan of the airport, with your aircraft's position shown there.

I've been watching to many of these youtube videos! 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Janov said:

I often type the letters into the scratchpad of the FMS as well - this not only helps with the readback, but also helps to remember the full clearance when you get to an intersection a few minutes later and don´t remember if you were to hold short or not 😉

Exactly what I was suggesting above. I still think it's the fastest way to remember a clearance, especially if you're not quite prepared for longer clearances or unexpected non-standard routings. Heck, even more with the "less paper" concepts, as it becomes harder to actually find some paper to write on quick enough 🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SAS443 said:

Keep in mind that all generic airports have

• All taxiways can be used in the airport.
• Taxiway names: are procedurally generated
• Taxi signs: allow user to taxi with success to destination
• Taxi signs: Acceptable placement (Procedural)

This means that for any generic airport out of the box,  3rd party EFB or navigraph/navdataPro taxi diagrams are not much help since they wont match MSFS.

Luckily since everyone gets the SDK at launch (although unfinished) it should allow users to edit the taxiway designators. I know I'll try to do my local airport. Especially if the SDK includes the in engine editor as showcased in the airport discovery video! That would make things super intuitive for people, even without much experience, to make some little tweaks and changes.

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

24 minutes ago, suncoastflyer said:

Luckily since everyone gets the SDK at launch (although unfinished) it should allow users to edit the taxiway designators. I know I'll try to do my local airport. Especially if the SDK includes the in engine editor as showcased in the airport discovery video! That would make things super intuitive for people, even without much experience, to make some little tweaks and changes.

This is why we need a scenery gateway system!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

This is why we need a scenery gateway system!

I for one definitely don't think it's a bad idea. As long as the devs / a responsible person approves the submissions.

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

I’m not exactly sure if we’ll be able to edit existing taxiways. Then of course I don’t know much about the current scenery system (still BGLs etc?). In the past I believe it would’ve been necessary to exclude the old airport out and start anew altogether. But who knows, maybe that’s doable even for non-professionals with the SDK tool that we’ve seen.