Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Nielsen

shooting an IFR appraoches

Guest ahdont

just wondering, how do i know the VOR or NDB frequency for the approaches? what about the DH and MDA? i can shoot an appraoch in real but in FSX, it seems impossible. this is my first sims. can anyone direct me to the correct direction? just want to play the game.cheers,ahdont

www.airnav.com is what I use for the US.You can also get the same charts directly from the NACO site which I believe airnav pulls from.If you like you can get some good simpilot IFR training from the www.vatsim.net main page, then pilot resource center. The ZLA ARTCC (Los Angeles) has a new pilot cert center that will get you started as well.What I do is each time I start a flight is this:1. Go to www.simroutes.com to get prefered routes which are usually real world routes you can also view at www.flightaware.com . For outside the US I use routefinder (http://rfinder.asalink.net/free).2. Then I go to the airnav site and make my own trip ticket, i.e. print out all the charts needed.3. I then use active sky, www.hifisim.com , and print out my route weather to add to my trip ticket.4. Then I use whatever load manager and fuel planner comes with my particular aircraft I'm flying as needed.5. Load up the sim (AT THE GATE..LOL...NOT THE RWY).6.. More fun, load up Squawk box or FSinn and fly on one of the online networks.All of this is free except for the weather proggy and payware aircraft I use.You can take it as far as you like, but that should get you going for now!! :-) Enjoy!Edit: I forgot to add that if your flying outside the US you can usually fish out foreign charts from one of the online networks, vatsim or IVAO....they're 'usually' current.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

>i can shoot an>appraoch in real but in FSX, it seems impossible. >ahdontIf you can shoot an approach in real...then do it the same way in FSX.Use the same real world frequency for VOR , ILS , NDB etc. It should work 98% of the time. The only thing that might not work is tuning into a radio station that we might do in real world. It has to be an NDB frequency not your local radio station.;)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest ahdont

thank you very much, there will be plenty of reading material for me to do. i really appreciated it, thanks. i tried to multiplay in fsx with atc environment but there are just way too many people out there flying aerobatic and flying without proper clearances. i hope microsoft will change and improve the multiplayer abit. you mentioned those payware aircraft and FSinn, can you elaborate all these for me please? cheers,ahdont

Guest ahdont

no, it just that i have a hard time finding the proper frequency for the navaid each time i join a game or a free flight. i have the appraochplates for most of canada but the rest of the world i am clueless in each frequency to tune in.ahdont

Ah yeah, sorry about that. The multiplayer in FSX is just that, it's a free for all unless you set up passwords and such. The real deal for FSX is in the shared cockpits...the real deal as in the possbilities it opens up.Most stuff is still for FS9 at the moment.Payware aircraft are usually in order of complexity/features (somewhat); levelD, PMDG, PSS, Feelthere, Flight1, flight factory solutions, Dreemfleet, Digital Aviation, Eaglesoft, Carenado. I know I'm mising some other good ones.Payware sceneries; flightscenery, flytampa, aerosoft, cloud9, simflyers, ultimate terrain, flight environment pro, GE, Tropical sim, simwings, uk200. Sorry, I didn't mention everyone else.You could search through these forums forver and still not find them all.The online multiplayer networks are Vatsim and IVAO as far as the biggest ones. VATSIM being the more procedureal in terms in ATC realism for the US anyways. They have a great worldwide following outside the US also. That's where I fly.You use either Squawk box or FSInn to connect to these networks.It's a learning experience that's like solving the biggest jigsaw puzzle of your life, but everytime you turn the corner you enahnce your FS experience...LOL. You have no idea what you're getting yourself into..hehe. There's even people who make and sell cockpit parts (real) and the software to run them inside of.My FS internet directory probably has well over 100 unique pages in it.It's a hobby where we fight together and play together. Someone once wrote an article in Flying magazine when FS2k2 came out (I think)from a real airline captain and said if they had the ability to do that, they'd have a laptop in the flightdeck and look at that rather than look our their real window. Something to that effect.Anyways, happy trails to ya :-)

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Just bring up the map view and either pause the cursor over the navaidor facility, or click on it and you'll have what you need.

Guest 737typerated

thanks jeff, awsome reply. i no yor a reel pilot, yu must no where them aproach charts are on the net

Yes but just a PPL, not sure what you mean by know where they are. I just linked www.airnav.com in the above reply as 1 reference that I use for simming. I think he uses the NACO links or something similar so that they are always current.I use airnav.com because I can also see the WX, NOTAMS, airport info, etc. on the same page which helps me to select SID's/STAR's and Approaches for each airport.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)