Sign in to follow this  
Kopteeni

Speculation about MSFS VR Performance

On 8/11/2020 at 1:44 PM, nickhod said:

90fps is desirable but not necessarily a minimum. X-Plane at 45fps on the Reverb is a good experience (with motion reprojection doing its job).
It's also not really 4k. It's about 2k x 2k (given super-sampling or high res headsets) and various GPU wizardry is rendering the 'other' eye efficiently. 

Asobo has said that we should expect the equivalent of 'medium' graphics settings for VR. I'm hopeful that high end systems might reach 'high' graphic settings in VR at 45 fps.

Even medium looks great in MSFS though, compared to what we have in X-Plane or any other VR sim currently.

Hey @nickhod

It pleases me to see that a WMR or SteamVR headset is good on half framerate.. I've stuck with the Rift S for so long, because I've always thought that it's ASW is the only tech that makes it smooth below 90 fps.. But SteamVR's Motion Smoothing works just as good in your opinion? If the WMR or SteamVR headsets are just as good as the Rift's ASW at half framerate(?), we're gonna have a great time with MSFS VR support!!

Edited by keem85

23 hours ago, keem85 said:

Hey @nickhod

It pleases me to see that a WMR or SteamVR headset is good on half framerate.. I've stuck with the Rift S for so long, because I've always thought that it's ASW is the only tech that makes it smooth below 90 fps.. But SteamVR's Motion Smoothing works just as good in your opinion? If the WMR or SteamVR headsets are just as good as the Rift's ASW at half framerate(?), we're gonna have a great time with MSFS VR support!!

I do think Oculus has the edge when it comes to motion smoothing / ASW, if I'm being honest.

That said, the movement in civilian flight sims isn't nearly as fast paced as in other games so running X-Plane at 45fps on the Reverb is a good experience.

I'm still convinced I'll need the 3090/3080ti to get the most out of this. It's about to be announced and from the photos I've seen this thing is massive. I expect I'll need a larger PSU. Also I'm a bit confused about 2 more things.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/joao-silva/nvidia-rtx-3090-pictured-rtx-3000-series-prices-leak/

1) Molex connectors - does anyone who understands this better than me know if something new is needed here? They're talking about a new extra large molex

2) USB-C : So the Reverb G2 needs USB C doesn't it? I believe you can get a PC card for that or a high end GPU like the 3090 will include one. Is that right?

Anything else anyone can think of that I'll need to get the 3090 running. My PC is from Jan 2016 - my first gaming PC, bought purely to run my Oculus CV1.

Varjo Aero, Zotac 3090, i9-12900K, 32GB Ram, RX Viper Rudder Pedals, AuthentiKit Controls + Fulcrum Yoke

atk-logo-354.jpg

1 hour ago, nickhod said:

I do think Oculus has the edge when it comes to motion smoothing / ASW, if I'm being honest.

That said, the movement in civilian flight sims isn't nearly as fast paced as in other games so running X-Plane at 45fps on the Reverb is a good experience.

Thanks for the honest feedback @nickhod. But If I may ask, if you strafe your head left and right while looking at a gauge, does the numbers get blurred? With ASW they don't get blurred, and the numbers stays very smooth.. How is it with Reverb Motion Smoothing? Does the gauge number stay clear when strafing head left/right, or do they get blurred?

Edited by keem85

Since G1 and G2 have same pixel resolutions, would be interesting to know that in other games under same graphics settings, how is G1 performance compared to 4K? All things the same, will fps in G1 be similar to 4K or much slower?

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I am not convinced a 3080/3090 will meet your VR expectations

Be ready to adapt to mediocre image quality for an overall great experience.

We need faster CPUs to achieve real progress in VR.  

A G1 has very bad graphics compared to 4k. And you have to turn details down, turn shadows off, turn AA off etc to achieve good performance in DCS for example.

Overall I prefer VR flying. Nothing comes close to it. But the image quality is lacking big time and no 3090 will fix this on its own.

I enjoy DCS in VR at 60 FPS in single player and I can live with 20 to 30 FPS in multiplayer.

Not everybody will be able to adjust to low framerates and low image quality in VR in MSFS. But those who can, will have the best simming experience in their life.