Sign in to follow this  
atlflyer

Scenery Servers and Bandwidth

I know it's pure speculation but with the amount of data everyone is going to be caching and streaming, just curious how reliable and big do you think the servers are? I know its storing 2 PB of data. Just curious how many servers and bandwidth.

I think my biggest worry in the game is the servers being down constantly because of bandwith or other issues and not being able to enjoy the full game. I love the idea of caching great scenery but this model is brand new. With 1000s of people hitting the servers who knows?!

Does anyone know any specifics?? How many KM does it cache in? I wonder if you can save large areas for offline so you can still enjoy your fave area to fly in all its glory.

Edited by nigelmcelwee

Ooops, I thought this might be referring to the MP servers, not the scenery. I was curious how many connected clients the MP servers are going to be limited to.

It's Microsoft Azure. It doesn't work on server count in the literal sense. But if you want to know the last estimate was 3 million servers.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Just now, Slides said:

It's Microsoft Azure. It doesn't work on server count in the literal sense. But if you want to know the last estimate was 3 million servers.

I'm not too familiar with Azure. So all bing data and mesh is stored there?

4 minutes ago, nigelmcelwee said:

I'm not too familiar with Azure. So all bing data and mesh is stored there?

Yes, scenery is streamed from the MS Azure cloud. Server time is allocated based on demand from a network of data centers.

Edited by Slides

15 minutes ago, Slides said:

Yes, scenery is streamed from the MS Azure cloud. Server time is allocated based on demand from a network of data centers.

Ah cool! With 3 million servers it seems like my worries are alleviated!

Now let's just hope they don't stop supporting for a long time!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, nigelmcelwee said:

Now let's just hope they don't stop supporting for a long time!

That’s one of my biggest worries. It’s nice just being able to load up a game and not worry about if the internet/servers are slow or down or if something happens where this new streaming stuff gets abandoned. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

2 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

That’s one of my biggest worries. It’s nice just being able to load up a game and not worry about if the internet/servers are slow or down or if something happens where this new streaming stuff gets abandoned. 

I know the flight simulator Community is a niche community. Having streaming servers is a lot of work. I truly hope they don't abandon after a year. I want to enjoy this for many years to come.

10 minutes ago, nigelmcelwee said:

I know the flight simulator Community is a niche community. Having streaming servers is a lot of work. I truly hope they don't abandon after a year. I want to enjoy this for many years to come.

That's the good thing about the cloud. It's usage based. Fixed costs are relatively stable but usage determines costs for the clients like Asobo. It should be a drop in the bucket for MS in the long term.

Edited by Slides
  • Like 2