Sign in to follow this  
bobie81

Clouds

I posted another thread about this and was told that they are working on fixing it.  I can describe the could as pixelated and "salt and peppery" if that makes sense.  I can try to snap a pic on my next flight.  Also, the lightening thing needs fixing.  I flew over storms and every time i got lightening i'd see the ground even at FL370, 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Far away the clouds look fine, but when you get close to them they have these strange pixelated and "TV noise" feeling to them. This seems to have been an issue with a more recent patch update for me.

The noise you're seeing is just inherent to the tech they're using to render 3D volumetric clouds, considering we have been flying in skies filled with 2D billboards in previous sims, I can easily ignore a bit of grain.

• Like 2

I've read the pixelated, sometimes fine-grid you can see on the edges will be addressed w/ the DX-12 port, so hang in there for now.  I think some of us have been spoiled (that would be me!) ironically by the cloud types you get out of REX for FSX/P3D.  I hardly see any clouds in MSFS that look like the 'high def' clouds in that environment.  This being said, often the weather in MSFS looks a lot more like the real thing from looking at photos out the windows of real planes.  One area I don't find quite right is there is not enough bright whiteness above the clouds as you see in photos from weather underneath real planes and I've tried to change desktop color settings to fix but just not quite right.   This shot is from a google search for cloud views from airplane--looks similar to MSFS but with a bit more definition perhaps:

vfrott.jpg

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Besides the clouds themselves, The cloud shadows are also lacking something. Missing some clear boundaries.

I mean, did anyone saw something like this in MSFS ? The only time I see something like the below photo is when the cloud shadow got captured with the satellite image 🙂 

img_20130719_133316_976.jpg

Edited by roi1862
  • Like 1

Roi Ben

13 hours ago, Zimmerbz said:

Also, the lightening thing needs fixing.  I flew over storms and every time i got lightening i'd see the ground even at FL370,

Dont speak about lighting !! 🙂 After lighting in 99% of the time I am willing to give them all permanently ! 🙂 

Edited by roi1862

Roi Ben

it is worth noting that what a camera sees is not necessarily what someone in real life sees. Games though tend to try and make things look like a movie or photo.

Classic examples of this include the way combat sims make the muzzle flare look like a gun camera or film rather than real-life and the way most sims include things like the hexagonal artefacts from the lens aperture in bright light and the  lens flare lines on point sources that are also lens artefacts.

Basically the aerial photography of those cloud shadows MIGHT be how a real person would see it but there is no guarantee.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick