Sign in to follow this  
Kodiak_Jack

Trying to work out ATC and IFR

Hello!

I'm very much new to simming so my questions may be absolutely absurd, and it's possible I've just not read enough into this particular topic. Apologies in advance if it's a bit cringe-worthy! So, I set a flight route - Glasgow to Donegal in my Cessna 152. Beautiful route, for what it's worth. I left some of the in-game navigational aids on, whilst also getting information from ATC about what heading to take: https://imgur.com/a/hvuyA2U

As you can see, the marker is nothing like the heading i'm supposed tobe taking according to ATC. If that is the case, what exactly do these markers relate to if not my heading? If flying in real-life, I assume I would just be relying on headings. Would I be asking the ATC for these vectors, or would they be giving them to me?

Secondly, at some point I presumably went outwith the bounds of the Scottish ATC centre. I expected I would be able to pick up my vectors when joining the local frequencies, but instead I was met with this: https://imgur.com/a/smJjScT

What should I have done here? I had the option to radio the airport at Dongeal, but I had no option to request vectors anymore. I could have my flight "followed" by a closer airport, but still no vectors. I fully anticipate this is me being an word not allowed (and Indeed I likely don't full understand ATC and IFR), so any tips as to what I've done wrong would be great!

Jack

You can stop bumping this topic!  If someone had an answer, they would have replied by now!

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

40 minutes ago, charliearon said:

You can stop bumping this topic!  If someone had an answer, they would have replied by now!

Okay, no need to be so unpleasant. 

• Like 1

They are "experts" and "real" pilots here, they cant be bothered with noob questions.

13 minutes ago, OHN767 said:

They are "experts" and "real" pilots here, they cant be bothered with noob questions.

Completely appreciate that and I’m well aware I’m stepping into a seasoned hobby - but the rudeness was just unnecessary to be honest. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kodiak_Jack said:

Completely appreciate that and I’m well aware I’m stepping into a seasoned hobby - but the rudeness was just unnecessary to be honest. 

Nothing rude about it!  You bumped this post over 3 times!  The first time within a hour of the original post.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

23 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Nothing rude about it!  You bumped this post over 3 times!  The first time within a hour of the original post.

I wasn’t asking you if you thought you were being rude, thanks. 

21 hours ago, Kodiak_Jack said:

Hello!

I'm very much new to simming so my questions may be absolutely absurd, and it's possible I've just not read enough into this particular topic. Apologies in advance if it's a bit cringe-worthy! So, I set a flight route - Glasgow to Donegal in my Cessna 152. Beautiful route, for what it's worth. I left some of the in-game navigational aids on, whilst also getting information from ATC about what heading to take: https://imgur.com/a/hvuyA2U

As you can see, the marker is nothing like the heading i'm supposed tobe taking according to ATC. If that is the case, what exactly do these markers relate to if not my heading? If flying in real-life, I assume I would just be relying on headings. Would I be asking the ATC for these vectors, or would they be giving them to me?

Secondly, at some point I presumably went outwith the bounds of the Scottish ATC centre. I expected I would be able to pick up my vectors when joining the local frequencies, but instead I was met with this: https://imgur.com/a/smJjScT

What should I have done here? I had the option to radio the airport at Dongeal, but I had no option to request vectors anymore. I could have my flight "followed" by a closer airport, but still no vectors. I fully anticipate this is me being an word not allowed (and Indeed I likely don't full understand ATC and IFR), so any tips as to what I've done wrong would be great!

Jack

Atc system is a but buggy at the moment. That being said, don't worry about using the markers and fly the heading that air traffic control asked you to fly. I would suggest practicing VFR flying radial to radial. Use skyvector.com to look up your airport and select the vfr map. 

Work on flying inbound and outbound radials. The 152 is very limited to advanced navigation in the game. In real life, that plane would only be able to fly radials and basic ILS.

Atc has given me some wonky things to do in this release.

@Kodiak_Jack, You said you are new to simming, but how familiar are you with flying and ATC in general? Do you understand that there are broadly 2 different sets of flight rules that one can fly under, either visual and instrument flight rules, that determines ATC treatment and expectations of you? Just trying to understand how best to try and answer your question. 

Edited by snglecoil

Chris