Sign in to follow this  
Kenjiro75

Paintkit?

Hi!

Do you know if the paintkits are already available? Someone created all those liveries, so there must be something... And if not, is possible to import an existing livery to a graphic editor and edit an existing livery? Has anyone tried that?

The textures are DDS files just like FSX/P3D.

There are a few fan made paint kits out there

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kenjiro75 said:

Hi!

Do you know if the paintkits are already available? Someone created all those liveries, so there must be something... And if not, is possible to import an existing livery to a graphic editor and edit an existing livery? Has anyone tried that?

Enjoy 🙂 Airbus only not seen any others

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GbSqQ07APKFo1nBS7Cd4AWMJ2_4fwv1x

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-creating-custom-liveries-with-ps-or-other-image-editor/153027

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett

@Kenjiro75 - There are indeed plenty of "Paint Kits" around - So far the best come from IRIS and FoxTecho (Jabiru, LongEZ and MB339). Go to flightsim.to and you can find bare template bits that you can drop into community "as is" and they will give you a basic livery pack which you can play around with. These are usually just a couple of wireframe texture sheets unfortunately, so you have to open the dds images of one of the other aircraft liveries for that model and save as a basic colour texture that you will have to edit with a painting software.

But most of the templates on flightsim.to will need work on your part. separate layers for dirt, shade, colour, wear and weathering.

The best way to create a unique texture sheet is to use Blender - You can physically paint on a 3D model of the aircraft you want to create a texture for and extract that texture to a paint program for further work. With Blender you can also create great wireframe texture sheets and save these to your graphics editor.

For painting on these 2D texture there are a few choices - Photoshop, Paint.net, GIMP are the most common although I use the Corel Draw suite. (Have been since it first came out and I find it the most intuitive art software (personal choice and opinion - make your own mind up please).

For creating the dds textures so that the sim can read these at runtime they need to be converted to DDS format. There is dxtBMP from http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/ this is an older tool and has limitations in msfs 2020, but works for most. GIMP and Photoshop convert textures to dds too. The best conversions can be done with these and the nvidia export plugin. I don't know if this works with gimp, but as I also have the cheapest possible subscription to photoshop, I can say from experience that the nvidia tool plugin to PS is really the best converter going.

I don't know how much in depth knowledge you have of graphics work, but there are plenty of good folk here who provide teaching tips. I am now more or less out of the scene now, but if you go to the paintshop threads here at Avsim, you will find many of the greats who have written their own tips and guides.

Edited by EagleSkinner

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel