Sign in to follow this  
V1-Rotate

How to start developing panels with the SDK?

I'm really impressed by what the guys with A320 addon did and really inspired me to learn how to program panels and switches.
I'm really bad on designing aircraft models and graphical stuff but I know a good share of programming.

I have downloaded the SDK and installed the plugin in VS2019. But how do I start? The SDK documentation seems to be for people already experienced on Prepar3D and FSX.

So is there a newbie documentation?

Edited by V2-Rotate

8 hours ago, V2-Rotate said:

Unfortunately not...

The SDK has never been very newbie friendly, and with the rushed release this time it's even worse than normally.

You can check some other (more developer-oriented) forums (e.g. FSDeveloper or the official ones), to perhaps pick up some tips, but for now it's mostly trial and error.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kronzky said:

Unfortunately not...

The SDK has never been very newbie friendly, and with the rushed release this time it's even worse than normally.

You can check some other (more developer-oriented) forums (e.g. FSDeveloper or the official ones), to perhaps pick up some tips, but for now it's mostly trial and error.

Thanks for that, I've discovered FSDeveloper but it seems to be a tightly close group and not even allow you to post... 😒

Oh yeah? Even after registering you can't post there?

I have to admit, the last time I really used them was in 2013, and I found them quite helpful at that time, but perhaps things have changed since then.

Just now, Kronzky said:

Oh yeah? Even after registering you can't post there?

I have to admit, the last time I really used them was in 2013, and I found them quite helpful at that time, but perhaps things have changed since then.

Sadly I went through the registering process and can't post anything before an admin approves me so. But how to reach the admin if not able to post?!

9 hours ago, V2-Rotate said:

I'm really impressed by what the guys with A320 addon did and really inspired me to learn how to program panels and switches.
I'm really bad on designing aircraft models and graphical stuff but I know a good share of programming.

I have downloaded the SDK and installed the plugin in VS2019. But how do I start? The SDK documentation seems to be for people already experienced on Prepar3D and FSX.

You should join that A320 Discoord channel.  Maybe some of the developers there can help you out.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 minute ago, abrams_tank said:

You should join that A320 Discoord channel.  Maybe some of the developers there can help you out.

You're right brother, didn't think of that, These guys might be helpful to get me started.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, V2-Rotate said:

Sadly I went through the registering process and can't post anything before an admin approves me so. But how to reach the admin if not able to post?!

They're probably just filtering out spammers.

It might take a few days for an admin to get around approving new applications, but it should be worth the wait.

On 8/29/2020 at 2:11 AM, V2-Rotate said:

Check out the MSFS SDK Discord also, lots of people helping each other out. The best thing you can do is some basic javascript lessons online and then use one of the default planes and try to make one small change, start to learn how your JS code influences what you see on screen. It is tedious work, but can be very rewarding.

This thread has the discord invite: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fsx-import-showcase/165910

Here's a good place to start with javascript... https://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

• Like 1

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT

15 hours ago, cwburnett said:

Check out the MSFS SDK Discord also, lots of people helping each other out. The best thing you can do is some basic javascript lessons online and then use one of the default planes and try to make one small change, start to learn how your JS code influences what you see on screen. It is tedious work, but can be very rewarding.

This thread has the discord invite: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/fsx-import-showcase/165910

Here's a good place to start with javascript... https://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

Thanks, fortunately I'm a professional developer albeit focused on business applications. I know some Javascript usually through Typescript, but not my main language, I'm a C# guy.

Thanks for the links I really appreciate the info.

Did you make any progress. I'm also a C# (but also c++, javascript etc.) developer wanting to get working on a project for MS FS 2020 , but finding it very difficult to get started.   I just need a simple example of C# adjusting the throttle to get me going ?  Can anyone help? thanks