Sign in to follow this  
marangog

FSX won't finish loading

My faithful FSX is suddenly misbehaving. It loads to the main menu, but when I choose a flight it loads terrain data up to 69%, announces "loading autogenerated scenery" and then crashes. Before that, I had just uninstalled some old programs/addons. I used an UNdelete application to see if anything had been deleted from my FSX folder or Appdata, but didn't find anything. I tried a system restore without luck. I have retried FSX with a very basic configuration, with the same results. Does anyone know what FSX is looking for at loadpoint 69?  My actual world/scenery & texture files are intact; could it be a misplaced .dll perhaps?

Not much of an idea, but do you have FSX Steam Edition? If so, then have you tried verifying the integrity of the game files via Steam?

FWIW I sometimes get a long pause in FSX:SE at 69%, depending upon what scenery I have enabled (add-ons) but no crashes..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

This always worked for me:  Change the name of, or backup the fsx.cfg file.  Then DELETE the current one.

Startup FSX - see if that fixed it.  A new fsx.cfg will be generated.  But you must add back any tweeks to the config file (cut and paste from original)  Don't include any very recent tweeks...

Back in the air again! I tried changing my Display-scenery settings to minimal and bingo! The cause is still a bit of a mystery though - I have been using Gb-sized photolayers with autogen for years at high settings. True, it would occasionally freeze, but Options-unpause always fixed it. Maybe my RAM is getting tired. (I do have MSFS on brand new hardware, but FSX is will be "Old Yeller" for some time to come.)

• Like 1

Post script: minimal display settings turned out to be too basic to enjoy. I upped them a couple of notches but it kept crashing at medium high (still not very good) and in fact blue-screened me just after switching resolution. So I'm going to have to reinstall.....