Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Fix for Fisheye???

The "fisheye effect" in MSFS when changing to spot view is weird, and I remember a post that supposedly guided you to the MSFS config file and something was changed.  The one thing I remember in the post was that the change DID NOT effectively stay changed. 

Could you direct me to the Cfg file location, the change that has to be made, and whether the SAVE function actually saves the change....since we just had an update.

Thanks,

Stan

• Like 2

I dont have the game yet but I immediately hated this effect too from all the screenshots and videos Ive seen. I hope youre able to find a fix.

• Like 2

Lens correction improves it, but it's still not yet there, IMO. I played with the Zoom settings, zooming in generally reduces the fisheye effect (in every simulator).

Based on a set of YouTube videos on Zoom settings, I set Zoom to 1.0 with Wideview on under Prepar3d, which gives a quite natural view with minimized fish-eye effect on my 34" / 3440x1440 widescreen monitor.

I tried to find a comparable Zoom setting in MSFS. For this purpose, I made comparison screenhots of the same situation in both sims. The result is, I get a similar view in MSFS when setting Zoom as high as 0.8 from the default 0.5. (Keep in mind the numerical Zoom values can't be compared between sims.) This did indeed minimize the fisheye effect, but at the cost of late loading of autogen which notably in photogrammetry regions resulted in bad distortions. 

Maybe there's a better solution? If so, it should go into the Tips and Tricks section. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11