Sign in to follow this  
Guest nycfly75

Im finally content (for the moment) with FSX

Guest nycfly75

After days of tweaking, I think I finally found a happy medium for now. Bear in mind im running FSX on a new Imac, so that in itself is an accomplishment. I did a couple of the tweaks, including Fiber Frame Rate (.13) and Texture Bandwith Mult (400). The BufferPools setting was not useful for my system so i took that out. Among my settings,Global Resolution: Very HighScenery Complexity: Extreme DenseNo AutogenCars: 30%All Boats: 100%No Air TrafficDetailed CloudsDetail Radius: SmallMesh Complexity: 100%Mesh Resolution: 39m Texture Resolution: 1mWater Efflects: High 1.xSpecial Effects: HighAdvanced ANimations: ONAnisotropic FilteringAntiAliasing: On1024x768x32FPS: Locked at 30KJFK: 8.5-25.5 (8.5 mostly near gate areas and for split seconds onlyIn Air: 18-30.1Ok, before you guys yell at me for my Screen resolution setting, I found no major visual difference from 1280x1024 and what I have, but my FPS shot up when I lowered the screen resolution. I found obviously that autogen impacted my FPS a lot as well as other air traffic no matter what percentage.In terms of not having Autogen, I do mainly airliner flying and not low altitude G/A flying where autogen wqould really come into play. I care about detailed airports, custom scenery and the scenic views. I dont care if i dont see trees or houses when im taxiing around the airport. One thing I did notice, when I was flying, the ground textures were beautiful! It was like Google Earth! The textures' appearance were above avergae, but they could be more clear. I was wondering if there was anyway to improve the textures visually anymore given the settings I have. Any help would be appreciated!VinIMAC Intel 2.16ghz Core 2 Duo. ATI Radeon x1600 128mb (I know that stinks), 1 gig of Ram (2 gig soon), running XP Pro SP2 with nothing else on Windows but FSX.

Here's another "adjustment" you might want to look into...See if your video card is already doing anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering by looking at whatever utility ATI provides to configure settings. If your hardware is taking care of that, then there's no need for you to enable that at the software level, and you can switch the option in FSX to Bilinear or Trilinear.That should give you a few extra frames per second as well.

Guest nycfly75

Ok Thanks! I think I do...so I will switch them off in the program. Does anyone have any setting tips for the ATi x1600 Control Panel?and to repeat again, given the setting I listed above, is there anyway to improve on the texture appearance?

I THINK (not sure however) the textures come by default with a 1m resolution. So increasing that slider won't make any difference.They are already very good, and I enjoy them alot.In my oppinion your fiber frame fraction is set to a low value (.13).This gives you good framerates but might cause more blurried textures.You can see if I am right or wrong by increasing the value to let's say (.33 - .4), ignore FPS for a moment. Now see if that does any help. If yes, try to refine the setting to a value where you achieve a comfortable balance between speed and quality.Hope that helps,Cristi

Guest nycfly75

I'll try upping the Fiber Frame Rate Adjustment as well. I flew last night from JFK-IAD, my biggest FPS problem was at JFK, where I was hitting the "split-second" 8.5's when in flight it was beaufitful looking down at the ground, not autogen was needed. The flight over DC descending at around 18K feet was amazing with all the custom scenery and the ground textures and when I landed at IAD, i didnt get the low FPS's like at JFK.Also: I like to launch in the 2D cockpit mode but no matter how many times i select 2D cockpit mode in settings or adjust the default value in fsx.cfg, the flight will always launch in VC mode!!!! Is this a bug??

I think it's a stage in Microsoft's continued movement toward "As Real as it Gets": I use Track IR 4, and this is very close to the way you view the world when you're flying in real life, given today's technologies.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.