Sign in to follow this  
mtwomey

Possible to have a plan with intermediate stops?

I'm not a pilot - so it could just be that this is against convention. However, I'm wondering if it's possible to have a flight plan that has full stops at some intermediate airports? Right now, if it's possible - I can't figure out how to do it. I can add the intermediate stops, but it has no elevation changes and doesn't allow me to really plan a landing there (it kind of just treats them like flyover points or navaids). Generally, I kind of like planning out longer flights as a set of small hops for refueling, ...etc.

Reading online about this, it does appear the the general rule is that any takeoff and landing is one "flight" and this is typically handled with separate flight plans (anyone here kindly confirm). That's understandable, just wish there was some way I could plan and get everything from a multi-leg trip onto the map so I can see it all at once.

It depends on how much you are willing to handle yourself.

For a GA crosscountry flight, you can definitely load up a multiple leg flightplan.   You are responsible for managing the approach for each airport individually, but after each landing, you activate the next leg of the flightplan.

Unfortunately, MSFS and its Garmin avionics do not have the flexibility to support this, except in its most rudimentary form.

Still, our group flies multiple leg flight plans each week as we go on group flights together.

Bert

You can create a full flight plan with all the intermediate stops and export this for MSFS.
Then delete the not needed legs in LNM for the first part so you get the TOD for your first intermediate destination. No need to save.
For next part undo the change and delete unneeded legs again.
etc.

Alex

I was thinking about this myself as a new-to-LNM user so I scoured the forum before creating a new topic. This topic should probably be called "Multi-hop flight plans".

I am a private pilot, VFR only, and am used to planning stops on the way for refueling etc. so this seems to be a sort-of logical feature for a flight planner, but I do understand that the typical definition of a "flight" is generally 1 takeoff and 1 landing. Flight planning using airports as waypoints in the planning process is also best practice in case something goes wrong, you're already on the way to an airport.

LNM only allows you to plan Departure->Destination with no intermediate stops as described by the author. I wonder if an enhancement to indicate a stop, like a "Procedure" of "Land" or "Stop" or "Flyover", might be possible. I know this has lots of connected work like calculation of TOC/TOD for the adjacent legs so it is non-trivial.

I'm using a combination of LNM and a new tool called Bush Trip Injector (BTI) to create my own Bush Trips. (much fun BTW). BTI on the other hand, assumes that when there is an "AIRPORT" in the lnmpln that it is the end of a Bush Trip leg so it's the exact opposite to LNM. I'm working on a manual workaround for this.

Also, on the topic of enhancements, planning different altitudes for different legs would be great, especially for VFR pilots. We have to do Cruising Altitudes of "Odd 1000s +500" for courses 0-180 and "Even 1000s +500" for 180-359. Also for VFR routes through restricted areas.

Hi,

If you want to simulate a multileg one could try append multiples Flight Plans.

Create one Flight plan, save;
Create the second Flight plan, save (with different name);
Create the third Flight plan, save (with different name);

Clear the Flight plan;
Open the First Flight plan saved;
Then on Files choose Append Flight Plan and choose the second flying plane saved;
Then on Files choose Append Flight Plan and choose the third flying plane saved;

On the end you have something like this.

5pKgJa4.png

After you have attached all Flight Plans you could save again with a different name and load on MSFS for example the full multileg flight plan.

xVwnxP4.jpg

CMCWYwJ.png

It's not perfect but works very fine for multileg on FSEconomy.

ps .: sorry for the english, google translator helped me. 😉

• Like 1

vultux.jpg

I can't edit my old post, but now there is a better way to do multileg flight plan.

Create a new Flight plan;
Find the first ICAO, click with the right button on the ICAO, choose Set as Flight Plan Departure;
Find the second ICAO, click with the right button on the ICAO, but choose the option Append to the Flight Plan;

Do the same to other ICAOs.

On the end you have something like this.

5pKgJa4.png

After you have append all the ICAOs you could save and load on MSFS.

xVwnxP4.jpg

CMCWYwJ.png

Works very fine for multileg on FSEconomy.

ps .: sorry for the english, google translator helped me. 😉

Edited by VultUx
  • Like 1

vultux.jpg