Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

ASOBO please give us VISIBILITY!...

OFC, I do like many other aspects of the way ASOBO is already simulating weather around the Globe, and I do understand it's quite a task to integrate model / forecast data with *** LOCAL *** observations. 

So, I don't mean to bash ASOBO / MFS, just want it to get better in this area as well as in other areas 🙂

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 9/29/2020 at 4:45 AM, jcomm said:

Guys,

thanks for your posts / contributions.

Guys, Please click on that link and vote up. This is a good issue to get fixed.

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!
  • Like 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The ask is this

How do we manually set visibility in MSFS that would look like this in the sim when we come into land

https://ibb.co/5Bg0rJh

• Like 1

Manny

I didn't yet have had the chance to listen to yesterday's Q&A session,  but someone told me they mentioned that they will try to find ways to set 1 km / 2 km visibility, and then set 50m visibility within clouds to be able to simulate low visibility under fog...

They are going to use the "Aerosol Density" parameter for that, but it's still WIP... so, we will have to wait and see what they'll come up with.

Let's hope it'll be interesting / satisfactory 🙂

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

1 minute ago, jcomm said:

I didn't yet have had the chance to listen to yesterday's Q&A session,  but someone told me they mentioned that they will try to find ways to set 1 mile / 2 mile visibility, and then set 50m visibility within clouds to be able to simulate low visibility under fog...

They are going to use the "Aerosol Density" paramater for that, but it's still WIP... so, we will have to wait and see what they'll come up with.

Let's hope it'll be interesting / satisfactory 🙂

Would you be kind enough to post the link to the Q&A Please

Manny

Manny

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Sorry, double post...

But in the post bellow there's the link to the moment they start talking about future plans for visibility.

Got the idea it's planed a lot more as a VFR than IFR / IMC sim right now - hope they change their minds about it... But listen to it - you may get a different interpretation ?

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Specifically here:

https://youtu.be/FZ_ODML7IQc?t=1621

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

45 minutes ago, Manny said:

The ask is this

How do we manually set visibility in MSFS that would look like this in the sim when we come into land

https://ibb.co/5Bg0rJh

For that it's easy, you just set clouds with the base down to the surface, it's the intermediate visibilities that are harder to get. However not really impossible using combination of aerosol density and surface clouds, just inconsistent. When the smoke from the west coast fires were at their highest the real world weather wasn't reading it so I messed around with manual weather to replicate it and got great low vis results. On that note didn't they mention that live weather would do smog and forest fires at one point? (sorry to get off topic a bit)

• Like 1

The way they answered makes me believe they were aiming at VFR more than IMC for low level flying. The ASOBO lead developer mentions "not in VFR" a few times as if the low vis conditions weren't supposed to be found when flying VFR and so were not in the big plans (?) 

It's mentioned 2 or 3km vis, and managing 50m within clouds that could be used to simulate fog, and he also gives the example of values like 600m being maybe possible in the future through a combination of both aerosol density and in-cloud visibility (?)

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

4 hours ago, willzah said:

For that it's easy, you just set clouds with the base down to the surface, it's the intermediate visibilities that are harder to get. However not really impossible using combination of aerosol density and surface clouds, just inconsistent. When the smoke from the west coast fires were at their highest the real world weather wasn't reading it so I messed around with manual weather to replicate it and got great low vis results. On that note didn't they mention that live weather would do smog and forest fires at one point? (sorry to get off topic a bit)

Yeah.. the Q&A posted by Jcomm address this issue and they too mentioned what you are suggesting clouds  at ground level...and that works for less than 50 feet visibility. the challenge is visibility in then 50+200 feet where they have promised they would provide a solution at sometime in the future.. You know what they say, "hope is eternal". LOL 🙂

But yes, I shall use the clouds at ground level to get really low visibility flying for now. 🙂

the best IFR weather I have had is in a very old IFR Training software called  IP Trainer by asa  approved by FAA as a trainer and I can log certain hours on this in my flight log. It's not a VFR simulator but an awesome IFR Trainer. Except it required a hardware Avionics to tune frequencies...using the mouse did not work, I failed every single IFR test cause I took too long to change frequency using the mouse. I am yet to see a similar trainer anywhere since.  I wouldn't have minded spending the $1500 for the avionics provided I could have used it for my FS9 as well. But nope..it can be used only by the IP Trainer. The company never upgraded it to the new Win 7 cause the original programmer (IMO , a total genius) probably left and the Mgt firm had no clue how to upgrade his code.

https://www.tagpilotsupply.com/browseproducts/IP-Trainer-7----Instrument-Pilot-Procedures-Course.html

This is so true. Its like having a CFII sitting next to you ....Amazing piece of software.. never seen anything like this since.

"IP Trainer is the only IFR flight simulator software with a foundation of artificial intelligence in the form of a virtual instrument flight instructor (CFII), the only interactive simulator software courseware designed exclusively for instrument students, and the only program that can compare its knowledge of the Instrument Rating Practical Test Standards against a student's real-time flight simulation performance."

Edited by Manny
  • Like 1

Manny

Also for strictly IFR training in MSFS2020 u can just place your head squarely in front of the panel so you cant see out side... haha, hax

• Like 1

I used ELITE since v7, now on v9 XTS... Also great for IFR, and all classes of visibility settings available ...

Main Simulation Rig:

29 minutes ago, jcomm said:

I used ELITE since v7, now on v9 XTS... Also great for IFR, and all classes of visibility settings available ...

I've used Elite..and its a good tool for practicing IFR approaches. .ASA has a another product called ON TOP IFR Trainer which is similar to ELITE. But the IP Trainer is different.. It has a CFII sitting next to you telling you what todo, It can take over from you and do the approach (NDB or other VOR non precision etc) and demo for you how its done with a voice over instruction steps... and then it sets you up and lets you do it...and prompts you the first few times and then you have a test and you either pass or fail...after each approach. It's hard to explain. Its 20 years old, and I hold it like "Precious" LOL I would never part with it...cause I can still use it except take the test.. I can let let the CFI do each procedure by himself (its a male voice) and I can learn from it...so it sill has some use.

see this thread, another guy is asking for this.. HA HA!

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/24887-help-looking-for-asa-ip-trainer-7/

Edited by Manny
  • Upvote 1

Manny