Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

ASOBO please give us VISIBILITY!...

Does anyone have a photo / screenshot of the 'thick blue haze' that joemiller is talking about?  I have never seen it in any screenshot or youtube video.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Does anyone have a photo / screenshot of the 'thick blue haze' that joemiller is talking about?  I have never seen it in any screenshot or youtube video.

HI Bob,

He made a post yesterday and I tried to ask him to post some shots but, none so far. Like you with live weather never seen it.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I want a proper weather map and weather along the route I am flying !

The world map is useless and sometimes ATIS not even working.

+1 on a visibility setting. I was practicing 🐈 🐈 and had to add snow and other stuff to manually get to close to minimums. I gave up since I couldn’t get the ceiling to match the AGL setting either.

I really really hope Asobo doesn't add artificial fog like found in other sims to the live weather. It looks horrible and I have always hated it. I get that that for practicing procedures you would want that, but I don't use any sim as a procedure simulator and don't want to.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

MSFS should have a weather engine powerful enough for the user to type in a custom METAR and have it displayed worldwide in the sim.

Full stop.

• Like 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Whilst it is not exactly what you want, be aware there is always the option of creating your own WPR presets. Which give a few more options than the GUI does such as the ability to have much heavier rain.

Below is an example WPR file taken from this mod weather mod at nexus:

https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/80

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="WeatherPreset" version="1,3">
    <Descr>AceXML Document</Descr>
    <WeatherPreset.Preset>
        <Name>Fog</Name>
        <Image>weather/presets/overcast.jpg</Image>
        <Icon>weather/presets/overcast.svg</Icon>
        <LayeredImage>weather/presets/overcast_layer.png</LayeredImage>
        <IsAltitudeAMGL>True</IsAltitudeAMGL>
        <CloudLayer>
            <CloudLayerDensity Value="1.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerDensity>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeBot Value="0.000" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeBot>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeTop Value="1524.000" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeTop>
            <CloudLayerScattering Value="0.050" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerScattering>
        </CloudLayer>
        <CloudLayer>
            <CloudLayerDensity Value="1.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerDensity>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeBot Value="1.524" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeBot>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeTop Value="501.396" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeTop>
            <CloudLayerScattering Value="1.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerScattering>
        </CloudLayer>
        <CloudLayer>
            <CloudLayerDensity Value="0.363" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerDensity>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeBot Value="11858.754" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeBot>
            <CloudLayerAltitudeTop Value="12743.609" Unit="m">
            </CloudLayerAltitudeTop>
            <CloudLayerScattering Value="0.500" Unit="(0 - 1)">
            </CloudLayerScattering>
        </CloudLayer>
        <MSLPressure Value="101575.000" Unit="pa">
        </MSLPressure>
        <MSLTemperature Value="283.150" Unit="k">
        </MSLTemperature>
        <AerosolDensity Value="10.000" Unit="m">
        </AerosolDensity>
        <Precipitations Value="0.000" Unit="mm/h">
        </Precipitations>
        <SnowCover Value="0.000" Unit="m">
        </SnowCover>
        <ThunderstormIntensity Value="0.000" Unit="(0 - 1)">
        </ThunderstormIntensity>
    </WeatherPreset.Preset>
</SimBase.Document>

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WestAir said:

MSFS should have a weather engine powerful enough for the user to type in a custom METAR and have it displayed worldwide in the sim.

Full stop.

METARs are not the end all of weather modeling. MSFS has an even more powerful system. Full stop.

54 minutes ago, Slides said:

METARs are not the end all of weather modeling. MSFS has an even more powerful system. Full stop.

Unfortunately for you, METAR are the end, and the beginning of the journey for any pilot operating ifr, particularly if in imc.

At it's present state, visibility conditions that would seriously impact your operations from and into an airfield are simply absent from the simulation, and as much as it may look really gorgeous otherwise, it'll be pretty much useless in terms of replicating real weather situations.

Not seeing any hint of variables to modulate visibility really worries me about their plans for the future, and I look forward to see it announced as a new, forgotten feature in any upcoming update...

BTW, and since we are talking weather modelling and MFS updates, what exactly do they mean with the wind gradient "fix" in this last update ? The gradient has been there, just like ED (DCS), IPACS(AEFS2) and LR(XP11) use in their simulators, and it makes sense, although it's inclusion IMO has more to do with limitations in properly simulating ground physics under cross winds than any other thing, but still, in the flights I have simulated after 1.9.3.0 I didn't notice any difference ?

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

56 minutes ago, Slides said:

Slides, I love you to death buddy, but I'm gonna have to call a logical fallacy on that response. I didn't say METARS were the end all; I said only that MSFS2020 should be at least able to make depictions made with them.

More fidelity is always welcome, but I was only saying what I believe should be the bare minimum.

• Like 3

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

1 hour ago, Slides said:

I really really hope Asobo doesn't add artificial fog like found in other sims to the live weather. It looks horrible and I have always hated it. I get that that for practicing procedures you would want that, but I don't use any sim as a procedure simulator and don't want to.

Don't afraid, nobody wants add artificial fog to live-weather 😉 But it should be as possibility in weather presets. Not all users allways wants to fly with live weather. For me it's only about 30% flights with live-weather and other 70% fligths I want fly in selected meteorological condition, but I miss the fog very much.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:50 AM, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Whilst it is not exactly what you want, be aware there is always the option of creating your own WPR presets.

Thanks for this tip!

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

On 9/30/2020 at 1:43 AM, jcomm said:

Unfortunately for you, METAR are the end, and the beginning of the journey for any pilot operating ifr, particularly if in imc.

Considering how often METAR can be wrong or usually just incomplete, that is frightening to hear. But I'm a non pilot, so I don't know. 

But I do know that you can't do a global air mass simulation as MSFS is attempting to do (with initial success I think) with just METAR data.

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

3 hours ago, WestAir said:

Slides, I love you to death buddy, but I'm gonna have to call a logical fallacy on that response. I didn't say METARS were the end all; I said only that MSFS2020 should be at least able to make depictions made with them.

More fidelity is always welcome, but I was only saying what I believe should be the bare minimum.

That is a fair ask that for non live weather that you should have enough flexibility to replicate METAR data. My fear is that this will get lost in translation and Asobo will go all out and change their live weather simulation to placate purely procedure simmers. We've seen some of this happen already where Asobo goes too far in placating the community with mixed end results.