Sign in to follow this  
Guest Republic DC-9

New FSX Convert

Guest EGLD

Hi There,I had a chuckle when FSX was released, there was no way I could run it on my PC, I'd even given up on FS9 as most addons made it unflyable. I downloaded the FSX demo, and on anything other than minimum settings it was a slideshow.I then built myself a new PC, bought a copy of FSX, and think its absolutely amazing. Quick flight in the 747 last night, and the immersion is incredible. I have all my sliders maxed except Autogen and Scenery complexity, which I change depending on what stage of flight I'm atIn the cruise, over the ocean, having scenery detail to max and bloom on, the ocean looked incredible, and FPS was high - 40's. As the sun sets, the stars come out, and are very realistic. Different brightnesses indicate different distances etc, there's no more mysterious fog lines on the horizon, the bloom effects stunning. The is a great sense of reality, I put the jumbo into a big turn and just left it, steady as a rock, looked left to the ocean, I could've been looking out of a real window in an airliner. The head movements feel very realistic when panning add to the sense of realismWith very high detail around St Maarten I get acceptable rates of 15's or so, which is absolutely fine for me, its a fluid 15 FPS, and I'm only running on 1GB of RAM at the moment, as the other 1GB stick is faulty and being replaced.Overall, with the right spec PC, this an absolutely stunning release of FS. Of course there are no addons as yet, and that will keep me running both sims, as FSX is just a plaything until we get hyper detailed airports and aircraft like the LevelD, Captain Sim 757, PMDG 737/747 workingThanks for listeningEGLD

hi EGLDi read your post and i am waiting at the moment,,,,wether to upgrade my system or not...ive even got the go ahead from the wife to upgrade.i was looking at a very similar system to yourscore 2 duo 6600,,,,2 gig ram,,,nvidia 7900...maybe only diff being i was looking at the 512mb cards.i was waiting for dx10 cards but reading different news bits does put me of,,,,some say you`ll need vista for dx10....jeees thats gunna be another hefty outlay.right now if i got that system that u have,,,are you happy landing at larger airports....on the size of london heathrow,,,gatwick.do these bring your system to its knees or do you get a stutter free landing...you say you have sliders high do you have ai traffic on?reading your post does sound good to me.Thanks Andrew

>i was waiting for dx10 cards but reading different news bits>does put me of,,,,some say you`ll need vista for dx10....jeees>thats gunna be another hefty outlay.Not a case of 'some say' with reference to DX10 and Vista - it's a fact.Personally speaking, there is no way I would buy an expensive DX9 graphics card at the moment with Vista and DX10 cards literally right around the corner.Unless you're loaded :D

Guest cwright

Welcome to the club!I was convinced very soon after running the first demo. The high-resolution ground textures were a real eye-opener! Of course, some of the scenery in the retail is far more complex than the demmos and frame rates were a bit of a problem. I have now applied just two tweaks (removing default.xml and reducing the autogen tree density - but there are still plenty of trees) and I'm quite happy with the frame rates on my medium machine. Most of the time I have scenery and autogen set to maximum. What FSX can do is simply stunning. I have to laugh when I read some of the posts claiming that FSX is a 'disaster'.Well done, Microsoft. FSX is an amazing achievement (despite some rough edges) and it can only get better. For example, it's well worth checking out the Horizon Simulations VFR free demo. Absolutely amazing.Best regards, Chris

Guest Republic DC-9

I also have a new PC (my old one died, and I couldn't wait until Vista/DX10 because I needed the machine for other tasks).It's a Core Duo 2.4 with Nvidia 512MB Card and 2GB of ram.With lots of cars and boats and the water set to the highest level possible, autogen at medium, and no downloaded tweaks, I can run the sim at around 15 FPS, even around downtown Seattle. For some reason, increasing the water slider to max seems to have no effect on my framerates. Granted, I fly mostly Cessnas but the 15FPS (or less)are very smooooth compared to FS 2004, I can't explain why - maybe because I don't get "microstutters" anymore.FSX is incredible (in my opinion of course) and I'm having a blast with it. The missions are fun, chasing the "Badger" autoferry from Manitowoc to Ludington, MI is fun - so far it's all been fun.I also got a Saitek flight joystick at Wal-mart for $20, my first one ever, and having a "hat switch", twisting rudder controls and throttle is terrific - can't believe I never used one in FS 2002 or FS 2004.