Sign in to follow this  
Dean19

Navigation question

I'm doing a short IFR flight in the Bonanza -- KBIL to Big Timber 6S0.

I am approaching from the east via SUBKY and will use the RNAV RWY 6 approach.

Do I need to enter the hold at ZELTI on the 263 leg that takes me around the 6364' peak, or can I just go direct ZELTI and make the turn to JUTIM.

Just wondering what is the proper way to fly this approach. Thanks

10488R6.svg

• Like 1

AMD 7900X  |  ASRock Steel Legend X670E  |  G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 6000  |  MSI 6950XT  |  Noctua NH-D14  

EVGA Super NOVA 850W  |  Cooler Master HAF932  |  Hisense 43" 4K UHD  |  Win11

You fly the hold.  The process used to be called a procedure turn.  Its like a figure 8. As you reach ZELTI you will turn to the left to fly a diagonal leg across the holding pattern to between where you see 263° and 7 NM.  You pick up that side of the hold and then execute the right turn on the hold around to the final approach course.  

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Thanks Frank, appreciate the clarification👍

AMD 7900X  |  ASRock Steel Legend X670E  |  G.SKILL 32GB DDR5 6000  |  MSI 6950XT  |  Noctua NH-D14  

This is an example of a HILO, Hold in Lieu Of Procedure Turn. If you are going to turn more than 90 degrees to the inbound course then a course reversal is appropriate.

We used to use 70 degrees, but it seems with PBN under TERPS 90 degrees is the new threshold. 

Edited by KenG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dean19 said:

Thanks Frank, appreciate the clarification👍

I have not done an AP hold yet in MFS 2020 with either the G series glass avionics or even with a GNS 530.  Is it even in the current features of the default avionics?  I do holds frequently in FSX SE with RXP GPS avionics.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 hours ago, fppilot said:

I have not done an AP hold yet in MFS 2020 with either the G series glass avionics or even with a GNS 530.  Is it even in the current features of the default avionics?  I do holds frequently in FSX SE with RXP GPS avionics.

I'm using the Navigraph beta with latest airac loaded into the sim. The MSFS flight planner lists the RNAV 06 approach but it does not show the hold on the map or as an option in any of the glass.

Hopefully they'll implement holds in the future but I won't hold my breath.