Sign in to follow this  
lupedelupe

Rex Live Weather: caution

MSFS live weather, while good when it works, often failed to inject live weather.

So, in spite of the criticism posted here, I bought Rex Weather Force. The first flight with Rex Weather Force seemed okay. The next flight was way off. A series of flights after that gave me weather 'last updated' on 1 January 0001. Installed the patch and since then I almost always get no more than bland horizon-to-horizon overcast. My nearest (as in just over the hill) METAR station does not often report on sky conditions (but provides pressure, temperature, wind etc), and Rex somehow interprets the METAR as overcast. Strange then, that other METAR-based weather plugins don't?

I contacted support. First attempt: still awaiting feedback. Second attempt: they counter with: "At this time we can only change the global controls of the weather within the simulator.  This is why you will get edge to edge overcast.  Of course the simulator uses a different approach, but because it relies on model data, it can be significantly off many times." ... which, as far as I can understand, means 'well that ain't going to be fixed anytime soon'. I reply with a request for e refund (what use is a weather plugin that cannot inject remotely the weather?). No reply. Third attempt, and this time I notice that their Support system does allow for a Refund option. Great. Their reply: no refunds.

The support system has been flawed (to put it mildly). The product is of absolute ZERo use to me, and doesn't even come close to fulfilling its objective. Over the years I have bought a wide range of weather plugins and all were, at the very least, mostly in the ballpark. Rex has no idea there is a ballpark (in my case, I'm sure it's just fine if you extract your weather from a busy international airport). 

I get that a product is not 100% perfect (hello MSFS 😅), but the admission that the product gives me incorrect data and then refusing a refund (on a product reliant on user credentials – i.e. they can theoretically disable my server access) is bad form. Rex does not do what it claims to do. They have lost me as a client for life. 

Some of the REX WF reviews clearly indicated that the the mod is flawed, but so is the "live weather" feature.

I actually tried the freeware mod "unreal weather" and it has the potential to be an excellent weather mod. To give you an example, the mod integrates with the weather window and gives you the metar info even while en route to your destination.

Sorry about you unpleasant experience with REX. We have all bought an add-on that we wish we hadn't. Take it as a learning experience.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Hi DJ

Where do you get the mod?

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.

I too bought this product yesterday and it worked very well from KPDX to KSLC. Compared it vs default and REX was right on. Wind speeds via Meter info was spot on. Default weather in Portland was was too much vs what the weather briefing stated. REX made it was it was suppose to be,

Thanks

I bought Rex, think it is more buggy than MSFS, takes some doing, but am confident Rex will work on it until they get it right as will MSFS.

• Like 1

MSFS2020 ,P3D V5, Ryzen 3600 4.2GHZ, 32GB 3000 Ram, Nvidia GTX 1600 Super 6GB, 22 inch 75 hz Monitor , Windows 10 204, Toposim,   Orbx Global, Vector, Europe  N & S California LC, England Regions,  England, PMDG 737, 777, Majestic Q400 and Aerosoft Airbus A318-20.