Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

Gaming Services install loop. No access to sim or games

Following on from this thread, I've started a new one as I can't find a connection between issues.

Background: When I first tried installing MSFS, I was unable to install it or any game on Game Pass if it had "Administrator approval required for installation" in the description. I eventually solved this by doing the following to re-install Gaming Services:

• Launch powershell as an administrator and enter “get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers”
  • In the same powershell window, enter “start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN”
  • Install the app on that page, including accepting the UAC prompt when shown.
  • Try installing the game again.

But now I have a similar, but not identical issue. Neither MSFS or any "Administrator approval" game will start. Instead, trying to start them opens up MS Store with Gaming Services shown. It says "This product is installed." but also has the button for "Install on my devices". Clicking on that gives me the option to install on one of my other PCs and this one which has MSFS and the games on it! Clicking to install here goes from "Pending" to installing and back to "This product is installed." But the issue remains - I can't start and "Administrator approval" games.

Running the above fix doesn't solve the problem, and as you can't uninstall MS Store or Gaming Services in the traditional way (like you can with traditional programs), I'm stumped. Trying to Reset or Fix in Windows Settings>Apps doesn't work either, and Uninstall is greyed out. I've spent hours looking for a solution with no luck. System Restore didn't help either.

I'm faced with risking a Windows Reset which would be a last resort other than a complete fresh install of Windows which would cause me a a whole new amount of hassle.

Any ideas. Nobody else in the same situation?

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

I'm sorry to tell you the Windows reset will not fix it either. I have followed every guide and tried everything. Still cant download the new sim. However I did recently discover it is not just flight sim, its ANY game from the windows store/game store. But I decided to wait till I am ready to rebuild my entire computer before I spend anymore time with it, as I have already lost 20 hours of my life. Why I cannot click buy and download like EVERY OTHER software company I have no idea. Good Luck. I know several other people that have the same problem just where I work. Imagine how much money microsoft is losing out on world wide.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

1 hour ago, AmeliaCat said:

your win 10 is updated to most recent version?  you only have msfs installed on one computer?

I'm still running build 1909 but I have all mandatory updates installed. In fact, I check for updates on a daily basis.

10 minutes ago, TurboKen said:

I'm sorry to tell you the Windows reset will not fix it either. I have followed every guide and tried everything. Still cant download the new sim. However I did recently discover it is not just flight sim, its ANY game from the windows store/game store. 

You may find (as per my first post) that it's only games which state they need "Administrator approval" to install. Try installing something like The Turin Test, Forza 7 or Forza Horizon 4, or any game where it doesn't state that and you might just find they work. It seems to be a known issue without a reliable fix, and appears to have been that way for 3 years or more from searches I've done.

Edited by 109Sqn
typo

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

On 10/26/2020 at 2:00 PM, 109Sqn said:

I'm still running build 1909 but I have all mandatory updates installed. In fact, I check for updates on a daily basis.

You may find (as per my first post) that it's only games which state they need "Administrator approval" to install. Try installing something like The Turin Test, Forza 7 or Forza Horizon 4, or any game where it doesn't state that and you might just find they work. It seems to be a known issue without a reliable fix, and appears to have been that way for 3 years or more from searches I've done.

Thanks for the reply, I have actually already cancelled my game pass, so I can't download anything for sure now. Luckily I wasn't one of the people that deleted there P3D installs before trying FS2020. 

• Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I just want to round off this thread by saying that updating Windows from v1909 to v2004 has got things back to normal for me, apart from more CTDs than I had before - still to solve that, but at least I'm flying again. 🙂