Sign in to follow this  
Jude Pearce

GTN states 'rebooting' and never turns on

I am having a similar issue.  Frequently after I shut down (engines, battery, etc.) and restart the plane, the 650 stays dark and the 750 says "rebooting".  I'm using the latest version of XP12 and the latest 750 software which I believe is 2.6.  Any thoughts on that error?

Scott 

After a couple of flights in the vFlyte Turbo Otter, my 750 and 650 would not turn on either. I went and copied the RealityXP.GTN.ini file from the same plane in X-Plane 11 to the Turbo Otter folder in X-Plane 12 and they are both working again. Many of the lines in the .ini in X-Plane 12 were missing, and that may have contributed. Whether they were like that from the start, or got corrupted somehow, I don't know. I'll be saving copies from now on, for sure!

Unfortunately, I have had the same experience twice now.  The first time I reinstalled the software and it started working again, but then a few days later it happened again.  It's really a bummer.  Because when the system worked, it worked beautifully well.  But, there appears to be a significant bug in the software that is causing the virtual device to go into an endless loop while trying for some reason to reboot itself. So, it remains in perpetual reboot phase -- never finishing the reboot and then functioning.

My system is with X-Plane 11, and it normally results in the sim crashing to desktop.  

After the second time, I uninstalled the GTN 750/650 that I had purchased and I doubt I will install it again.  Kind of a shame, as in the past I found Reality XP products to be the best and most stable of all the virtual avionics in the industry.  Something unfortunate has happened here.

I was able to work around this issue, but I don't know if the process is repeatable at this point.  I did reinstall the GTN software, and it did for the second time initially come up with the same rebooting error.  But, without doing anything that would have caused X-Plane 11 to CTD, I simply exited X-Plane and then restarted it.  At that point, the GTN window showed a cold unpowered condition, without the rebooting message in the lower left corner of the display.

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that something is causing the software to corrupt the unit's operation into thinking it is powered on and needs to conduct a reboot due to some perceived change in setup -- similar to what happens properly when the device's setting are changed -- for example to disable the transponder tuning option.  However, since the unit really isn't powered on, it isn't receiving anything, and therefore is locked into an unworkable condition.

Since this has been reported by multiple people since two years now, I'm surprised that Reality XP hasn't released an update to cure this issue.  I know they put out advise about configuration of the ini file, but that doesn't strike me as a solution.  It would seem to me that a solution would be one that would not allow the device to think it needs to reboot upon initial start up, but only after a setting change would require it.

Hi - I just found a possible solution to the "rebooting" problem in both XP11 and XP12.  In the .ini file, look for PowerSource = xxxx.  If it says AUTO, change it to AVIONICS_BUS so it reads

PowerSource = AVIONICS_BUS.

If there is no line for this, just put it in the global settings (the top part) for [GTN_750_1] and [GTN_750_2].

I have just tested this in the AFL King Air 350 for both platforms, and it works - both GTNs are powered by the avionics bus switch, and the rebooting message is gone.

Edited by SWVA4420

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

On 8/21/2023 at 1:07 PM, SWVA4420 said:

Hi - I just found a possible solution to the "rebooting" problem in both XP11 and XP12.  In the .ini file, look for PowerSource = xxxx.  If it says AUTO, change it to AVIONICS_BUS so it reads

PowerSource = AVIONICS_BUS.

If there is no line for this, just put it in the global settings (the top part) for [GTN_750_1] and [GTN_750_2].

I have just tested this in the AFL King Air 350 for both platforms, and it works - both GTNs are powered by the avionics bus switch, and the rebooting message is gone.

Thank you for this!