Sign in to follow this  
PeteMc

Lock GTN650 Into The Panel

I found multiple threads that refer to the "floating" GTN, but nothing I've found so far actually tells me if the GTN can be locked in the panel or if it is always going to float.

There is a no-display GTN that appears in the panel and in the manual there is a reference to Freeze Window.  But there's no other reference or instructions.  So am I correct that the way the GTN650 works is as the floating Garmin Sim panel?  For a lot of what I'm probably not going to be moving the panel that much, so I can live with just placing the floating sim over the "placeholder" in the panel.  But it sure would be nice to lock the sim to the panel for those times I do want to pan or tilt.

Thx.

Hi,

I'm not sure to exactly understand which is locked with what in your scenario, but all options and settings are explained in the RXP User's Manual.

hints:

1) The GTN can display in an X-Plane popup window, which you can 'freeze' in position and size, and which you can pop out (detached) as a standalone Windows window (NB: this is all standard XP11 user interface functions (except 'freezing' which is our enhancement).

2) The GTN can display in the 3D cockpit too, where there is no 'freeze' function because it is inherently 'attached' to the surface it is rendering to.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Yes, read that....   But it's still floating "pop-out" display.  Nothing seems to get it to go into the panel.

Plane is a vFlyteAir Piper Arrow III.  I've reached out to them too, but no response.

Any thoughts?  I'm reasonably sure I followed the manual, but if you have more specifics or a list of the usual "gotchas" that people fall prey to, please let me know.

Thx

On 10/28/2020 at 10:07 AM, RXP said:

1) The GTN can display in an X-Plane popup window, which you can 'freeze' in position and size, and which you can pop out (detached) as a standalone Windows window (NB: this is all standard XP11 user interface functions (except 'freezing' which is our enhancement).

22 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Yes, read that....   But it's still floating "pop-out" display.

Yes it does, like any other Windows window in your Windows system.

NB: the above is above "floating windows" which are the 2D rectangle displaying on your screen and which you can move with your mouse, like any other window. The rest is in the XP11 User's Manual, I believe they have a UI Chapter explaining how they are displaying and managing windows in the simulator.

NB: This is ABOVE the panel

22 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Nothing seems to get it to go into the panel.

On 10/28/2020 at 10:07 AM, RXP said:

2) The GTN can display in the 3D cockpit too, where there is no 'freeze' function because it is inherently 'attached' to the surface it is rendering to.

Is this what you're thinking when you're writing "Nothing seems to get it to go into the panel" ?

NB: This is INTO the panel

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hello PeteMc.  Did you find a fix for your issue yet?  I just purchased the software and have, I believe the same issue.  I've read and looked at a few youtube videos that show the plug in actually replacing or overlaying the GTN over the GNS 530/430.  When I try this as described by others and attempt to change my view or move around the environment the panels stay where they are placed?  The GTN operates as expected with navigation, flight plans, radios etc. but its a bit annoying. I should take a snapshot and add to make it clear, though what you describe sounds like my issue as well.

On 11/16/2020 at 6:08 PM, dozermedic said:

videos that show the plug in actually replacing or overlaying the GTN over the GNS 530/430.  When I try this as described by others and attempt to change my view or move around the environment the panels stay where they are placed? 

Please understand a popup window is always ontop and relative to your monitor. This is why it won't move if you're using the mouse to rotate your head for example.

However rendering (i.e. embedding) the GTN in the 3D cockpit is different.

In addition to displaying in a popup window, the GTN can also display in the 3D cockpit. You'd have to either manually embed the GTN in the 3D cockpit or rely on a pre-configured aircraft, or use a community panel mod.

On 10/30/2020 at 2:58 PM, RXP said:

The rest is in the XP11 User's Manual, I believe they have a UI Chapter explaining how they are displaying and managing windows in the simulator.

Resurrecting an old topic that every so often I revisit.  I search every so often to see if there's a fix, but so far I haven't seen one. 

I really wish there was a way to show and active GTN mounted in the panel vs the GTN Trainer over the X-Plane window.  I've looked at some other planes, but so far nothing seems to work.  Some planes have the GTN installed, but no Mooneys or what I'm using now that as the Aspen is an Arrow. 

I see the blank shell of the GTN installed in the panel.  Is there really no way to overlay the GTN Trainer and "PIN" it to that space in the panel?  Then as you pan or tilt, the GTN would move with the panel.  I get that the aspect ratio will be off and change as the angles change.  But it still would be SO much better than having the floating trainer or moving the trainer off to another screen.