Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Big freezes and stutters when using rolling cache

For the last couple of updates I have been using rolling cache and haven't noticed any performance impact. The day after the last patch I was flying along in California and got some BIG freezes and stutters that I never got before. It would freeze for like 5-10 seconds, then have several smaller lags and then a big freeze again. Since I never have these performance issues normally, I immidately suspected rolling cache. The problem went away and haven't showed itself again after I turned rolling cache off. 

• Like 2

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Thanks - that has resolved the longer (~5 sec) stutters for me. 

I'm still experiencing micro stutters though but at least the sim is still flyable.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 10:33 AM, Andreas Stangenes said:

For the last couple of updates I have been using rolling cache and haven't noticed any performance impact. The day after the last patch I was flying along in California and got some BIG freezes and stutters that I never got before. It would freeze for like 5-10 seconds, then have several smaller lags and then a big freeze again. Since I never have these performance issues normally, I immidately suspected rolling cache. The problem went away and haven't showed itself again after I turned rolling cache off. 

I get those too. 5-10 seconds and wondering if the sim is crashing. But then the stutters just end like nothing happened. I see it in urban areas, and some are worse than others. I keep rolling cache on, because I've noticed the scenery looks worse without it. Weird.

There are other threads about this issue, but they mostly seem to think it's got something to do with the graphics settings. Which it doesn't.

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

I have always experienced mini stutters with rolling / manual cache.So I turned those options off / deleted local storage.

I get smooth performance with streaming data...however, once in a while, I will get the long freezes usually about 5 or 10 seconds after a session starts.