Sign in to follow this  
desbean

Mods Forum and Avsim Library

In the past you could find thousands of mods and other freeware in one place. Now there are (will be) thousands of "libraries" each with one mod. Keeping up with the modest number of mods that are available now is getting difficult, but imagine what it will be like in a year or two. We search through forum pages to find threads with dozens of pages trying to figure out which mod works with which update, what/where the latest version is, and which person/group mod are we talking about here?...

If the Avsim Library was used, one simple forum announcement like "the propeller mod by ... has been updated" or "a seasonal mod is now available in the library".

Since this probably isn't going to happen I suggest that there needs to be a MSFS sub forum just for Mods. Doesn't this make sense considering how cluttered the subject is already becoming, and how many mods there are going to be over the next several years? Do we really want the main MSFS forum to be the place to keep up with mods?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, desbean said:

... I suggest that there needs to be a MSFS sub forum just for Mods. Doesn't this make sense considering how cluttered the subject is already becoming, and how many mods there are going to be over the next several years? Do we really want the main MSFS forum to be the place to keep up with mods?

IMO the biggest problem when "Edit" button expire and after one week author are not able to update mod topic and supposed to create the new one. And after that Moderator merge two topics and this is a real disaster! 😃

P.S. I used Avsim Library for decade, but now it looks as outdated platform to share files and, for instance, not allowed to place YouTube video to show Mod.

Edited by OSM
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, OSM said:

IMO the biggest problem when "Edit" button expire and after one week author are not able to update mod topic and supposed to create the new one. And after that Moderator merge two topics and this is a real disaster! 😃

P.S. I used Avsim Library for decade, but now it looks as outdated platform to share files and, for instance, not allowed to place YouTube video to show Mod.

I used to use it a lot too. But i think its pretty much dead now. Flightsim.to is a great, easy to browse website, and i think its the way to go going forward. It has many features like keeping you informed if a mod has been updated etc. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

flightsim.to is where it's at, for sure.  They don't have _everything_, but most of the good stuff ends up there.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

For my main mods that I know I'll keep using, I make a bookmark to their github page (or wherever else they are). That way I know where to go to check for the latest version. I have a folder in my bookmarks list for MSFS/Simming related stuff, then a separate folder just for MSFS mods.

• Like 1

James