Sign in to follow this  
IDLE POWER

Ram for aerosoft a320

Hello everyone

i am thinking to merge the ASa320 cockpit to the a350 in fsx. The thing is that the a320[aerosoft] keeps crashing. The pc closes down after a few minutes when i start the a320. So if i merge the cockpit only with the freeware a350 model will it keep crashing or the Ram used by the plane will be less?

Hi,

When you say your pc keeps crashing when you start the Aerosoft A320, are you getting an Out of Memory (OOM) error message before the crash? I ask this because I can use the Aerosoft A320 in FSX without problems.

Just to clarify, an OOM message does not refer to RAM but to VAS (Virtual Address Space) which is different and independent of RAM. Don’t worry - it is an easy mistake to make and I also assumed it was referring to RAM when I first encountered Out of Memory messages many years ago. A simple explanation of VAS is that it is part of your hard drive which FSX uses when it is running but FSX, being a 32-bit platform, can only use a maximum of 4GB of VAS.

The Aerosoft A320 actually has a reasonable VAS footprint using about 500MB more that the default Baron. Compared to resource intensive aircraft such as the PMDG 777 and DC-6B which each use about 900-1000MB more and some of the latest Carenado HD releases which can use up to about 1.5GB more, the A320’s usage is therefore quite moderate. Keep in mind however that FSX itself uses 1.7-2GB of VAS and if you have your display settings maxed out it will use even more. In this context AI traffic is a major culprit and if you have your AI traffic set for high levels of AI traffic this will have a big additional VAS hit! If you then add a resource intensive add-on airport to the mix (some of them can have huge VAS footprints!) and start your Aerosoft A320 in that airport, then you could quickly reach the 4GB VAS limit and receive an OOM message.

So I would suggest initially reducing all your settings (particularly AI traffic)  by moving the sliders towards the left and perhaps start in a default airport and see if you can complete a flight without problems. 

Bill

• Upvote 1

no it doesnt say about the OOM message anytime. I did a flight from schipol to heathrow and it didnt crash but when i did a flight from montreal to JFK it crashed although i had less traffic and no added scenery

Anyways thanks a lot for ur help and i will reduce the settings to fly the airplane.

2 hours ago, IDLE POWER said:

no it doesnt say about the OOM message anytime

Because you mentioned RAM, I had assumed your issue may be memory related but usually a crash as a result of approaching the VAS limit is preceded by an "Out of Memory" error message so perhaps your crashes are caused by something else if you are not getting that message.

Hope you can manage to fly it without crashes but if the issue persists, it may be worth seeking help on the Avsim CTD forum or perhaps on the Aerosoft support forum.

Bill

First, try flying with significantly reduced settings.  If you still get a crash and it is only on your Montreal to JFK flight, I would look for corrupt or missing scenery files.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

6 hours ago, IDLE POWER said:

I did a flight from schipol to heathrow it was fine. looks like i will have to fly this a320 on low settings

Glad it seems to be working out now! You may have to experiment with your settings depending on any add-on scenery in use but if you’re just using default scenery then you should be able to use the Aerosoft A320 without having to reduce your settings excessively. Remember however that a BIG culprit in terms of VAS usage is AI traffic. For Heathrow I use the excellent but resource intensive UKXtreme version but successfully flying the PMDG 777 from there requires the airport to be almost devoid of AI traffic!

If you have a lot of add-on scenery you might find a scenery configurator useful This will allow you to temporarily deactivate scenery you do not need so that you only load the scenery you require for a particular flight which will reduce VAS usage a little. 

Also, if you haven’t already done so, it is well worth going through the very useful Avsim FSX Configuration Guide and setting up your system exactly as this recommends to optimise its performance.

Bill