Sign in to follow this  
Alvega

From Gamepass for PC to Steam version

Hi,

I'm currently using the Gamepass for PC version of the sim but I want to buy the Steam version.

I guess I will have to uninstall this version to install the Steam version but will I keep all my controller assignments or will I have to do them all again? Hopefully they are saved on the cloud and I will have them with the Steam version.

Thanks.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

35 minutes ago, Alvega said:

Hi,

I'm currently using the Gamepass for PC version of the sim but I want to buy the Steam version.

I guess I will have to uninstall this version to install the Steam version but will I keep all my controller assignments or will I have to do them all again? Hopefully they are saved on the cloud and I will have them with the Steam version.

Thanks.

Going to depend on whether your Steam version uses the same login name etc as the Xbox version or uses the Steam login instead..

I have have not got the steam version so I have no idea at all how that works.

Also, if you purchased any "addons" within market place, you lose access to them.   According to MS/Zendesk, the only way any marketplace purchases remain persistent is if you purchase the game from MS store using the same MS account you used for Gamepass.  That way the install is unaffected and only the digital rights file is modified. (from gamepass "rental" to actual "owner").  If you purchase from Steam, then there is no way to link the purchases from what I've been told.  

Ok, thanks. I didn't purchase anything on the market place yet because I was already thinking about buying on Steam. I'm installing it now. Guess I will have to set all my controller assignments and views again 😞. I made a backup of the cameras.cfg file though, hope it works.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I am on the game pass and want to purchase at the end of my $1 first month. What's the difference between the two versions?

54 minutes ago, timkmco said:

I am on the game pass and want to purchase at the end of my $1 first month. What's the difference between the two versions?

The Steam version doesn't have locked files. That is what made me buy it.

Alvega

I have both Steam and Gamepass/Xbox versions installed and they both work and I have seen no conflicts. One is installed on drive E:, the other on drive F:, but the paths are entirely different, so I believe they would both live on the C drive just fine? I was careful to make sure the packages and rolling cache directories were distinct and not shared between the versions. Microsoft new style app installs go into a restricted directory and there's no easy way to see or modify, or link to the contents of the install directory. The Steam version uses a more traditional Windows install and it goes in the Program Files directory, if in the shared Steam sub directory. 

Edited by Dylanear

Also, you can skip the in-sim download if you copy your files from your Gamepass install into the folder you tell the Steam version to download to (the folder you set in the sim, not the pop-up when steam installs it).

Edited by Tuskin38

3 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Also, you can skip the in-sim download if you copy your files from your Gamepass install into the folder you tell the Steam version to download to (the folder you set in the sim, not the pop-up when steam installs it).

Too late, I already downloaded and installed after uninstalling the Gamepass version. All working as it should.

Thanks anyway.

Regards.

• Upvote 1

Alvega