Sign in to follow this  
Mikeingreen

Autostart LAAO with MSFS

I know I have read somewhere that it is possible to add an .xml file to MSFS to autostart utilities along with MSFS, I think. Is that in fact possible? My old brain forgets half the time to start LAAO before MSFS and then I go to use my X-Touch and it doesn't work. Then I have to start all over. It would be nice to automate the process.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

Please check the manual, the process is described in chapter 12. 

Best regards

LORBY-SI

I knew I had read it somewhere and that was it. Only problem is I do not have an "exe.xml " at that location, or any location according to the search I did. There is a "FlightSimulator.cfg" file there. Could that be it?

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

13 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

I knew I had read it somewhere and that was it. Only problem is I do not have an "exe.xml " at that location, or any location according to the search I did. There is a "FlightSimulator.cfg" file there. Could that be it?

Right. The exe.xml isn't there by default in MSFS.

Edit:

I have added a download for the default exe.xml file that references AxisAndOhs to the Donwloads page on the AXIS AND OHS - Home (weebly.com) website (bottom of the page)

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

When I clicked on the file it didn't download it, just opened it. I copied it to Notepad and saved it as "exe.xml", and then put it where you said to. I hope that was correct.

14 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

When I clicked on the file it didn't download it, just opened it. I copied it to Notepad and saved it as "exe.xml", and then put it where you said to. I hope that was correct.

Dropbox hides the download button a little bit. Should be top right of the screen, the arrow pointing down.

But what you did is correct.

If you want to use the web features (= web gauges or web API), AxisAndOhs must be run "As Administrator". If you want that to happen by default, find the AxisAndOhs.exe (default MSFS installation it is here: C:\Program Files\LorbyAxisAndOhs_MSFS\LorbyAxisAndOhs_MSFS.exe), right-click on the exe, select Properties -> Compatibility, there is a checkbox to make it run as administrator by default.

Best regards

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Got it and it is working correctly. LAAO loaded along with MSFS. Thanks for the help.

Hello @Lorby_SI, without opening a other thread I just hope this will be enough and hopefully get a reply

Following as title, 

On 12/4/2020 at 6:44 AM, Lorby_SI said:

Please check the manual, the process is described in chapter 12. 

Best regards

since 2020 the guide has been update and on chapter 12 or the entire guide there is no mention of scripting/autostart via EXE.xml or FSUIPC (I tried both anyway with no success with a bit of knowledge that I have 😂)

13 hours ago, DavidGee said:

Hello @Lorby_SI, without opening a other thread I just hope this will be enough and hopefully get a reply

Following as title, 

since 2020 the guide has been update and on chapter 12 or the entire guide there is no mention of scripting/autostart via EXE.xml or FSUIPC (I tried both anyway with no success with a bit of knowledge that I have 😂)

Since 2020 there has been an update every 3-4 weeks, we are now at version 2.60.

AxisAndOhs has checkable items "Start automatically" and "Connect automatically" in the "Application" menu. This will prepare the exe.xml for you.

Note: If AAO has been set up to always run "As Administrator", then you have to start the simulator (or whatever else you want to start AAO with) "As Administrator" too - otherwise Windows prevents the "master" process from starting AAO due to insufficient privileges.

Out of curiosity - why would you run FSUIPC and AAO at the same time?

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

On 10/24/2022 at 1:40 PM, Lorby_SI said:

Since 2020 there has been an update every 3-4 weeks, we are now at version 2.60.

1) AxisAndOhs has checkable items "Start automatically" and "Connect automatically" in the "Application" menu. This will prepare the exe.xml for you.

Note: If AAO has been set up to always run "As Administrator", then you have to start the simulator (or whatever else you want to start AAO with) "As Administrator" too - otherwise Windows prevents the "master" process from starting AAO due to insufficient privileges.

2) Out of curiosity - why would you run FSUIPC and AAO at the same time?

1) I see that now

2) because I run other programs simultaneously with FSUIPC

Hi,

If purchased in MSFS Store we can't set MSFS to run always as administrator. There is no such option. We can only run it manually with right clicking...

I have other programs that run automatically when MSFS starts and they don't need Admin rights or what's whoever. I believe there is some room for improvement in this process?

Thanks a lot!

I have other programs that run automatically when MSFS starts and they don't need Admin rights or what's whoever.

Those "other programs", do they have a network/web component? Like the WebFIPs, WebPages(=FMCs) and the WebAPI in AAO?

If you are using AAO just for the game controller part, admin rights are not required. But if you want to use the Web Gauges, a StreamDeck or one of the Bridge programs, elevated permissions are necessary. AAO needs admin rights to get around local network security when you want to use its' web based functionality.

1 hour ago, titime said:

I believe there is some room for improvement in this process?

It is entirely up to you and your use case if you set AAO to run as admin or not. But if you do need the WebAPI, and if you want to use the exe.xml, then MSFS must be started as Admin too, that is a hard Windows rule. 

Edit: but I could do it the other way around, meaning that AAO starts the sim automatically. I will look into that (although I think that most people are using different means to run things automatically with MSFS...)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Hi,

I'm using 2.81b05 and know that I need to run AAO as administrator if I want the In Game Panel and all of its functionality to work. It works fine if I start AAO as an admin from outside the sim, from a shortcut.

My issue is that I cannot get AAO to start as an admin and automatically with the sim (through the exe.xml file) after setting the options in the AAO interface. I have set the program the exe.xml file runs (C:\Program Files\LorbyAxisAndOhs_MSFS\LorbyAxisAndOhs_MSFS.exe) to have the property of running as an administrator, but MSFS won't load it even when I am running MSFS as an administrator.

When I take the run as administrator property off of the AAO executable, MSFS running as an administrator does open it, but it does not open AAO in administrator mode, so the in game panel doesn't work.

The only way that I can get AAO to open as an administrator is to open it manually. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

51 minutes ago, mmcmah said:

What am I doing wrong?

You have to start the sim itself with the "As administrator" option, otherwise it doesn't have the authority to start AAO which you have set to require elevated privileges. That is probably not working our on your computer, no idea why though. Seems to work for me. Maybe the entry in the exe.xml is broken?

You could do it the other way around though. AAO has an option to start the sim automatically too ("Application->Start simulator before connecting"). Assuming that you are using the MS Store version. 

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

I thought there might be an issue with the shortcut I had created, and so I ran MSFS from the Start menu option that the installation creates, right-clicked and selected Run as Administrator. Even that didn't open AAO with the appropriate admin privileges for the in-game panel to work.

I will just load AAO manually every time.

Yes, I am using the MS Store version.

Edited by mmcmah