Sign in to follow this  
Josephpilot

Request code affinity mask

Instead of using an affinity mask on P3D, I apply one to everything else so that P3D gets core 0 to itself with all windows processes and additional moved to my last 4 cores (9700k). Seems to really help on my system but as usual YMMV

On 12/11/2020 at 12:56 PM, kand said:

Instead of using an affinity mask on P3D, I apply one to everything else so that P3D gets core 0 to itself with all windows processes and additional moved to my last 4 cores (9700k). Seems to really help on my system but as usual YMMV

How

On 12/9/2020 at 8:24 PM, Josephpilot said:

hi, guys I have an i7 9700k and as in the photo I see that my core 0, compared to the other 6, is exploited at 100%. I wanted to ask is there anyone nice who can tell me the number of the suitable affinity mask, considering that I have to use other programs? So I think I'm using the first 5 cores. Thank you very much, I am attaching photos.

FLcsP0Q.png

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=255

in Prepar3d.cfg

Also set target frame rate in sim to 58fps

Which has nothing to do with the Mask but the refresh rate works well with it.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:44 AM, BerndB said:

I warmly suggest to forget about those "placebo" of AM. If you are struggling from constant stutters of the SIM you should try instead to switch off HT what you have done already as it seems, and overclock your CPU to the 4 or 4,5 GHZ. 

No further comments needed for those telling people that use an AM something about placebo but then suggesting another placebo tweak for a CPU that has no HT at all... 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

On 12/19/2020 at 7:55 PM, 40track said:

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=255

in Prepar3d.cfg

Also set target frame rate in sim to 58fps

Which has nothing to do with the Mask but the refresh rate works well with it.

Side note on AffinityMask in my comment on this and a edit

Since the 9700k has no HT and is straight 8 cores even without HT you're still best using all cores (0 to 7) hence the AffinityMask=255

My 10700k has 16 threads hence it would go into a AffinityMask calculator as

Core 0 thread tick 

Core 1 thread do not tick 

Core 2 thread tick 

ETC

So every EVEN thread gets assigned and the ODD thread is not touched giving AffinityMask=21845

This works for intel CPUs and since i have no access to RYZEN 3XXX or 5XXX or Threadripper CPUs have no idea on the AMD SMT Thread behavior (hopefully better so you can use all threads).

Just my 2 cents on it.

Also i forgot to mention activating Vsync with the 58FPS in Sim to the mentioned post above as there is no editing.

Comments? ideas?

Thanks. 

I use the below calculator for an affinity mask value, very simple to use.

https://www.gfsg.co.uk/affinitymask.aspx?SubMenuItem=utilties

The mask I use places the main thread onto the strongest CPU core, then Process Lasoo core priority sets P3D to use all cores while still leaving the main thread on the strongest core.

Also in the two Ryzens I've been running over the past 3 years I've found disabling SMT (Simultaneous MultiThreading) in the BIOS to yield the best in perfomance for P3D.

The CPU runs cooler meaning I can set the base clock timing at near it's maximum and P3D manages a higher average frame rate, plus it's not as though I'm short a core as there are 8 full cores.

I also use Process Lasoo to push all the apps started with P3D onto the last 2 cores because I have 12 applications/exe's that also fire up with P3D, all going towards a managed tune for maximum performance.

I also limit fps to 30 via a 30 Hz vsync which greatly enhances the performance of P3D overall while also providing a very smooth framerate, yes 60 fps would be nicer, maybe with a new Ryzen and a 16 GB GFX card...if one could only buy, but alas here in Aust there is nothing to be had.

Cheers R

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D