Sign in to follow this  
hgschnell

FSNavDBC error solved (at least for me)

hgschnell,

This DBC creation hang problem has always been totally unpredictable in whatever Windows version it is set up to run. Sometimes it runs correctly from beginning to end, both in my previous WinXP setup and now in my Win7 64 bit but then suddenly, without having changed anything and for no apparant reason, it hangs somewhere along it's run.

The strange thing is that the program, while scanning the whole FS9 installation, is in fact only searching for applicable navigational data and should therefore not hang on any scenery object positioning BGL file(s). However, in some cases it does exactly that.

Some years ago I did an extremely tedious test when the program kept hanging on an airport scenery, which contained no navigational data whatsoever. After a whole day of trial and error testing it turned out that the hang was on a BGL file containing only the placement of certain scenery objects, e.g. a few flags on poles. When this BGL file was de-activated the program ran from beginning to end without problems, only to hang again on another airport scenery a few weeks later.

In the meantime I've just learned to live with it but will take another good look at your settings anyway.

Regards

Hans

I suffered from this ugly error since .... (ever?)

No joke, I had email contact with the programmer, got special versions to test, I have read all forums about it, all without success.

After shifting 58Gb of scenery to another HD partition these days, I tried for hours to recreate scenery.000 and scenery.001 for my more than 1400 layers.

Activating / deactivating dozends of folders or files, all in vain.

So I tried the settings I wrote above and FSNavDBC ran till the end.

And the best of all, some friends confirmed it.

Why discuss when a test is easy?😁

Well - I have to admit I was skeptical about this, as I have had unending trouble with FSNav database updates, but I tried this fix, and the database was created without any errors! Hooray - and thanks!

Graeme

• Like 1

Graeme Butler

hgschnell,

I treid your settings and it actually seems to work as you claim, at least in my Win7 64 bit setup !! 

I've been messing around with these totally unpredictable hangs ever since FSNav was first published.and I've never looked at or even thought of what you have now found to be the solution, mostly because my many test results and frustrations, never seemed to have pointed in that direction.

Thanks very much and stay healthy.

Hans

• Like 1