Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

.wav files path & related

Tried Sound=complete path copied from file browser/sound.wav no luck. Tried just sticking .wav in a/c flows folder--didn't think that would work and it didn't. Where do .wav files go and how do you put them into a flow? (I see how Dave did it, but his are just "Sound=sound.wav"). A couple of related questions are (1) is there a collection of user-created MCE .wav files? For example, I might like to add the fire test bells to the flow. And (2) can boarding music be substituted for GSX boarding noise? I have some nice 70s Muzak ready. I'm not saying GSX boarding is bad, but it sounds more like Southwest than Court Line. I use Audacity, so voice recordings are no problem. How do you get the "intercom" sound added, though? Thanks for any help on sound issues.

By the way, having a lot of fun with it and it is really useful on an older three-person crew airliner. I'm not going to say it's easy to get used to, but I'm learning. I'm keeping a log of glitches (or perceived glitches) and trying to work through them. I must say (again if I haven't before) that support is platinum level.

Edited by Tim_Capps

5 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

Tried Sound=complete path copied from file browser/sound.wav no luck. Tried just sticking .wav in a/c flows folder--didn't think that would work and it didn't. Where do .wav files go and how do you put them into a flow? (I see how Dave did it, but his are just "Sound=sound.wav"). A couple of related questions are (1) is there a collection of user-created MCE .wav files? For example, I might like to add the fire test bells to the flow. And (2) can boarding music be substituted for GSX boarding noise? I have some nice 70s Muzak ready. I'm not saying GSX boarding is bad, but it sounds more like Southwest than Court Line. I use Audacity, so voice recordings are no problem. How do you get the "intercom" sound added, though? Thanks for any help on sound issues.

By the way, having a lot of fun with it and it is really useful on an older three-person crew airliner. I'm not going to say it's easy to get used to, but I'm learning. I'm keeping a log of glitches (or perceived glitches) and trying to work through them. I must say (again if I haven't before) that support is platinum level.

Good to hear you're enjoying the crew experience.

You can do all the stuff you mentioned with wav files.

It's vey likely files are above 100 MB and that's why it's not working.

Split them into smaller chunks.

The software should warn about that limitation. It was an oversight. Hopefully fixed in next update.

Edit: Barring that, assuming they are relatively small files, it could be that they are playing on the default device when you're expecting them to come out on headset.

To direct them where you want, go to Windows Control Panel, <sound> applet and set headset as the default device under "Playback"

Edited by FS++
incomplete information

No, they're nowhere near 100 MB. I really just need to know how the path works. This is exactly what I've tried: Sound=C:\Users\Timothy\Documents\Multi Crew Experience\MyVoiceScripts\Copilot\Aircraft\CS_L-1011-1\Sounds\coffee.wav

So, I suspect there's something I'm doing wrong. Does it matter where in the script it goes? Maybe Dave could chime in, because I think there may have been changes since he released his AVSIM pack, due to the instructions not quite making sense (possibly because the L1011-1 now has native support). In fact, all I'm doing is modifying the existing vscr files for the a/c. I've blundered about and actually managed to get his little welcome to the user to play as part of a flow, but the problem with blundering around in almost total ignorance is now I can't reproduce it! (If a thousand monkeys types flows for a thousand years, would they eventually get a .wav to work?)

I have been just doing ground school with the crew, going over the procedures again and again. We are making progress. It might go more quickly with a different airplane; I don't know. But, yes, I am enjoying it. Especially the ATC, as lame as it is, requires me to think and speak. I remember in flight training the hardest thing to learn was to talk and the radio! And, I'm an ex-radio announcer 🙂

And I still can't dismiss the mechanic after pushback because my flight engineer informs me I have to turn an engine off before contacting ground. I'm also getting both the mechanic and GSX pushback guy talking to me. Is that right?

Edited by Tim_Capps

20 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

No, they're nowhere near 100 MB. I really just need to know how the path works. This is exactly what I've tried: Sound=C:\Users\Timothy\Documents\Multi Crew Experience\MyVoiceScripts\Copilot\Aircraft\CS_L-1011-1\Sounds\coffee.wav

So, I suspect there's something I'm doing wrong. Does it matter where in the script it goes? Maybe Dave could chime in, because I think there may have been changes since he released his AVSIM pack, due to the instructions not quite making sense (possibly because the L1011-1 now has native support). In fact, all I'm doing is modifying the existing vscr files for the a/c. I've blundered about and actually managed to get his little welcome to the user to play as part of a flow, but the problem with blundering around in almost total ignorance is now I can't reproduce it! (If a thousand monkeys types flows for a thousand years, would they eventually get a .wav to work?)

I have been just doing ground school with the crew, going over the procedures again and again. We are making progress. It might go more quickly with a different airplane; I don't know. But, yes, I am enjoying it. Especially the ATC, as lame as it is, requires me to think and speak. I remember in flight training the hardest thing to learn was to talk and the radio! And, I'm an ex-radio announcer 🙂

And I still can't dismiss the mechanic after pushback because my flight engineer informs me I have to turn an engine off before contacting ground. I'm also getting both the mechanic and GSX pushback guy talking to me. Is that right?

The quickest way to synchronize audio with David's own flows is as follows.

Copy all wav files you downloaded to \My Documents\Multi Crew Experience\Myvoicescripts\Sound\ folder

Edit flows in Notepad to replace \David\ with \Timothy\ in all paths.

Very brave to take on the L1011 Tristar.

EDIT: My bad.

Shoukd be ""Copy all wav files you downloaded to \My Documents\Multi Crew Experience\Myvoicescripts\Sounds\ folder

Edited by FS++

1 hour ago, FS++ said:

Very brave to take on the L1011 Tristar.

I reckon it can only get easier :-)

23 hours ago, FS++ said:

EDIT: My bad.

Shoukd be ""Copy all wav files you downloaded to \My Documents\Multi Crew Experience\Myvoicescripts\Sounds\ folder

For the benefit of anyone else who might have this issue one day, nope. When we get a solution, through email I'll make sure to post it here.

Here is what I've found with Ben's help (and some blundering about). This is true on my system, anyway. Maybe yours will not prove so tricky. So, with that caveat...

All sounds I want to incorporate into flows, as .wav files, must be in Documents/Multi Crew Experience/MyVoiceScripts/Sounds/.  No sound in that folder that has been simply copied and pasted there will be recognized. Only sounds added by editing the flow script through the UI (see picture) will be recognized. That is accomplished by browsing to the desired .wav file from within the UI and selecting it, MCE will copy it to the aforementioned folder (be careful when it shows the screen about copying, because the "yes" button will actually loop the sound, which I probably don't want). Once this has been done, MCE seems to be satisfied, and it will be usable by scripts edited through the UI. In fact, once a .wav file has been copied to the magic folder via the UI, it appears to be editable with something like Notepad++. Finally, I just put "Sound=sound.wav" into the script. MCE will know where to look. If you try to put it in "C:/Documents/MySpecialAirplaneSounds/coolsound.wav" or even the whole path to the proper folder, it won't work. Just put it in the Documents/Multi Crew Experience/MyVoiceScripts/Sounds folder through the UI as described, and all you need in the script is "Sound=sound.wav" That's it.

For example, I want things a bit different from the supplied flows for the Captain Sim L1011-II (FSX version the same, I believe). I did not want everything spoken as it was done (Verbose=0, easy enough) but I want to hear the flight engineer go through his tests with sounds--fire bells and the various aural test sounds. Now, sounds that are triggered by switches actually turned on by MCE, like the battery chord, are going to sing out in any case. But MCE does not have the flight engineer actually use the rotary aural test switch, so this way, I hope to fake it by having them in a script. Through VoxScript, I open the script (or make one) and add the sounds using the method I described, browsing to the CS L1011-II sound folder where they reside, and letting MCE copy them to its folder for use. (In practice, I will edit them together in one .wav file through the excellent free program Audacity.)

So that's my story. As I said, don't know if this is how it is supposed to work for everyone, but this is the only way it works for me. Feel free to chime in with clarifications. Preferably with a c-chord.

NOTE: Yes, the L1011 has a lot going on, since it is a classic Lockheed Trijet with a three-person crew and no magenta line. While there's no reason you couldn't program the INS to fly a SID or STAR, I would rather use radio navigation for that, which makes for a pretty busy cockpit at times. MCE initially added more work, but after a lot of practice, it's starting to lessen the workload and feel more like a live airplane. For example, it's great to be able to tell the FO to tune the frequency for CPT or SAM or whatever (he'll look it up). They did a good job getting MCE to interface with a whole lot of things, which could not have been easy with this particular airplane. I suppose I could have started with something simple and worked my way up, but as painful as this has been, I have learned a lot more about MCE--and the L1011 (which I thought I knew pretty well)--this way. For me, I'm not going to be satisfied until my L1011 crew acts like I want them to, which means a lot of customization. The good thing is that it I can customize it. I can't imagine being stuck with someone else's idea of what my crew should do.

VOX1.jpg

• Like 1

After putting my sound files into the sounds folder, simply add a sound edit into the voxscript file directly from the MCE edit tab.

It's really easy.

Have the .wav files in the sound folder.

Check they work by double clicking on them.

Then edit away from the MCE UI.

You need to be sat in the TriStar and have MCI UI up. You can do anything you want from there. Don't try and edit from desktop.

Fiddle about until it works. It does!

Regards!

David