Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Manual Cache

I have always had roaming cache on and have never touched manual cache.  I have had issues with the "melted" looking buildings in large cities and photogrammetry not loading as well.  I youtubed some video on manual cache and from what I understand is that you "download" an area that you would like and it would enter that data into the sim before you fly there.  Is that correct?  So in theory, if I am flying from Chicago to St. Louis and I want all of Chicago cached and all of St. Louis, I would paint those regions, let it enter the sim and then go fly?  Shouldn't that help fix my issue of areas not loading?  What does roaming do differently?  Is that just automatically entered into the sim on the fly based on where you are?  

Also, if I did manual cache and downloaded the 2 areas I mention above, what data would be shown in between the two cities along the route?  I hope someone can explain because it seems to me that if I want nice crisp graphics in the cities, I should just manually import them based on where I am flying.  No?

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Also, before adding manual, do you need to clear cache first?  It just seems a bit too confusing as I heard that roaming also doesn't work 

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

I thought Manual Cache was a Spanish bloke. 🤣

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Manual cache is mainly downloaded photogrammetry. It’s a bit cumbersome to “paint”, but the end result works well for me. 

As long as your desired area has coverage, go for it. You don’t need to do anything further with the Rolling cache.  

43 minutes ago, conundrum said:

Manual cache is mainly downloaded photogrammetry. It’s a bit cumbersome to “paint”, but the end result works well for me. 

As long as your desired area has coverage, go for it. You don’t need to do anything further with the Rolling cache.  

In other words, paint the area you want to fly in, install it, turn rolling off, and you should see better looking areas since they aren't downloaded while in the sim?

What happens if you have 3rd party payware or freeware?  Do you still need to do the manual?

You can leave Rolling Cache on.

Manual Cache is mostly photogrammetry related, so it shouldn’t affect any 3rd party stuff. 

20 hours ago, conundrum said:

You can leave Rolling Cache on.

Manual Cache is mostly photogrammetry related, so it shouldn’t affect any 3rd party stuff. 

What would the difference be with rolling cache on vs. off and downloading manual cache?

Many on official forum report rolling cache causes micro stutters. I'm currently experimenting with it off, and thus far no micro stutters.

HOWEVER, I'm running my 1070 again so I'm GPU limited rather than CPU limited with the 3090, so maybe that's it.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Also, on a side note, I tried to do a manual cache twice and got a CTD.  Is there a reason that would happen?

Once was around San Francisco and the other was San Diego

Edited by Zimmerbz

Might have had a crash or two creating the Manual cache, but it could have been due to impatience and not letting the program do it’s thing.

If you want offline satellite imagery, then you’ll need to keep the Rolling cache on. But there’s no harm in toggling the Rolling cache on/off to see what effect it has.

I am unsure if Rolling cache stores photogrammetry. The devs have merely stated it stores “World data”.  But I didn’t get proper looking photogrammetry until I saved some in the Manual cache.