Sign in to follow this  
Kgbow

Long Haulers!

Well, it made it without crashing. LNAV and VNAV mostly worked and when it didn't (which admittedly might have been it not liking my Saitek hardware autopilot panel) it was easy to work around. It does seem to fly a in a bit of a nose-high attitude though.

I must admit that since I'm familiar with the route and the approach into LEAM, and because the 787 has a HUD, I didn't use any nav aids or automatic assistance for the landing and instead hand flew it with basic stick and rudder, just eyeballing the descent profile, which it does okay. So there's nothing really wrong with the way it basically flies, but I can't attest to whether it would do an ILS approach properly on autopilot, but I suspect it would. The only thing I think you need to be aware of, is that if you get too slow, it will then take on the aerodynamic qualities of a Steinway Grand Piano, so I think it's possibly better to err on the high side for VRef.

83bUPJX.png

wlBmB8y.png

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

56 minutes ago, Chock said:

Well, it made it without crashing. LNAV and VNAV mostly worked and when it didn't (which admittedly might have been it not liking my Saitek hardware autopilot panel) it was easy to work around. It does seem to fly a in a bit of a nose-high attitude though.

I must admit that since I'm familiar with the route and the approach into LEAM, and because the 787 has a HUD, I didn't use any nav aids or automatic assistance for the landing and instead hand flew it with basic stick and rudder, just eyeballing the descent profile, which it does okay. So there's nothing really wrong with the way it basically flies, but I can't attest to whether it would do an ILS approach properly on autopilot, but I suspect it would. The only thing I think you need to be aware of, is that if you get too slow, it will then take on the aerodynamic qualities of a Steinway Grand Piano, so I think it's possibly better to err on the high side for VRef.

83bUPJX.png

wlBmB8y.png

Thats brilliant news. Thanks for posting about your flight. Awesome runway photo too. Think I may have to do one tomorrow. Sunday long haul. I can take over just fine once its at the point of intercepting the ILS even if it isn't a full ILS approach. At that point I could hand fly it. Its leaving it to cruise for long periods I worry about. Haha. I'll have you know Steinways are beautifully aerodynamic. Or is that just audibly dynamic? I own a 1970's Yamaha compact. Beautiful piece of work

103903.png

1 hour ago, Chock said:

wlBmB8y.png

Nice one our Chock. Glad you didn't end up inverted again. They've definitely improved a great deal.

I haven't got the 787 but I'm really getting in to flying the 747 (With Salty Mod)

I've clocked up two Trans-Atlantics and a few good medium hauls over the last few days.