Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

(Just another) advice needed for a new PC build

I know, every other post is about that. I'm into FS for 20 years but my only weak point is buying new hardware. I do it every 5 years or so and every time it's like I'm doing it for the first time. If anybody have a minute, I'd be very grateful if somebody can throw an eye on a build I threw together. Just to see if I picked something really wrong here. I intend to use the computer for P3D and MSFS.

MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K, 10x 3.70GHz, BOX, Comet Lake-S, LGA1200 (BX8070110900K)
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 F4-3300C16Q-32GTZKW
GPU: RTX 2080 Ti (I already have this component)
SSD: SSD 1TB M.2 80mm PCI-e 4.0 x4 NVMe, MLC V-NAND, Samsung 980 PRO
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB520 red (MCB-B520-KANN-S00)
Sound: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Z Retail
CPU cooler: SILVERSTONE Permafrost 360mm ARGB AIO vodno hlajenje (SST-PF360-ARGB)
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W (BN295)

Would you replace any of the components with something different?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Edited by Tomaz Drnovsek

SILVERSTONE Permafrost 360mm

Best to check out the reviews for this AIO, but upon a cursory glance it looks okay. Think its a bit louder than the competition though, so yes, do look at the reviews.

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 700W (BN295)

The minimum requirement for PSU wattage, according to Nvidia, is 750 watts. So you are 50 Watts below the minimum. Personally I would opt for at least 850 Watts, especially if you intend to overclock. For my 10900K and RTX 3090 system I went for a 10000 Watt PSU. I would highly recommend EVGA power supplies. Fantastic warranty and fantastic support. In any case, make sure you buy a high quality unit. The PSU really is a very important component. 

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 F4-3300C16Q-32GTZKW

Trident Z is fantastic RAM. I went for 3600, but the nice thing about Trident Z is that you can usually nudge the frequency up, above the XMP setting. Not guaranteed of course, because XMP is technically already an overclock. 

Sound: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Z Retail

Your motherboard already has very good built in SupremeFX S1220A onboard audio. You don't need an additional soundcard, unless you have a specific need for this for some reason.  

- Audio Shielding
- Premium Japanese audio capacitors
- Audio Cover
- Optical S/PDIF in port(s) at back panel
ROG SupremeFX8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A
- Dual OP Amplifiers
- Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- High quality120dBSNR stereo playback outputand113dBSNR recording input
- Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback *
Audio Feature :
- SupremeFX Shielding™ Technology
- Gold-plated jacks
* Due to limitations in HDA bandwidth, 32-Bit/192kHz is not supported for 8-Channel audio.

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Thank you so much! Very helpful information!

I used an online configurator for this build and since I already have RTX2080Ti I didn't include it on the list so the power recommendation was way lower than it's actually going to be. I'm so glad you mentioned this. I included the sound blaster out of habit, back in the day we all had sound blasters 🙂 You're right, I don't need it. The CPU cooler I just randomly picked one, not too cheap and not too pricey, since I know nothing about CPU coolers. I will check some reviews on this one and a couple of others. Thank you again for responding!

1 hour ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Thank you so much! Very helpful information!

I used an online configurator for this build and since I already have RTX2080Ti I didn't include it on the list so the power recommendation was way lower than it's actually going to be. I'm so glad you mentioned this. I included the sound blaster out of habit, back in the day we all had sound blasters 🙂 You're right, I don't need it. The CPU cooler I just randomly picked one, not too cheap and not too pricey, since I know nothing about CPU coolers. I will check some reviews on this one and a couple of others. Thank you again for responding!

Oops! My apologies. 

I read your post straight after reading a similar thread where the OP was referring to a 30 series graphics card. So... forget what I said, the minimum requirement for your graphics card is actually 650 Watts. Not 750. Even so, your 700 Watt PSU is only 50 Watts above the minimum requirement, so personally,  I would still recommend 750 watts or above. the difference in cost between 750 and 850 is minimal, so 850 would be my choice. 

Yes, don't just pick a CPU cooler at random. Especially if you intend to overclock, cooling is vital. You don't want to end up with a sub standard noisy cooler. Personally, I'm an air cooler fan, in particular the NH-D15S. Corsair H150i is said to be good, as is the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360. But yes, check out the reviews. 

• Like 1