Sign in to follow this  
danbaz

FBW A320NX project topics

6 hours ago, danbaz said:

Hello Gerald,

I am finally back to working on a realistic voxscript for the FBW A320 NEO. Today I have spent some hours to compile an overview of what does and what does not work. 

In below table I show commands given and the result. For the ones where the result was not "ok", pls can you help by providing the correct command for the action? Do I understand correctly that even if FBW did something that the switch won't move, MCE should still understand what I am trying to do? That would be a cue to understand where the problem originates.

For lights, ideally the brightness should be relative to the amount of light from outside, but an increase some, increase medium, increase fully or maximum would be good to work with.

I have added the complete PNF preliminary cockpit preparation procedure (excl APU), so battery and wipers are mentioned again.

Appreciate the help already. Hope it was worth my time.

Kind regards / Daniel

Command given Result
start master one off ok
start master two off ok
gear down ok
windshield wipers off command accepted, switch not moved
does not recognize left and right
battery on FO asks Cap to push the two switches
external power on ok
ecam show electrical command accepted, switch not moved
glareshield brightness increase command accepted, switch not moved
panel lighting brightness increase FO does not understand this command
pedestal lighting increase command accepted, switch not moved
right weather terrain brightness increase FO does not understand this command
right navigation display brightness increase FO does not understand this command
right primary flight display brightness increase FO does not understand this command
upper ecam brightness increase FO does not understand this command
lower ecam brightness increase FO does not understand this command
overhead subpanel brightness increase FO does not understand this command
standby instrument display brightness increase FO does not understand this command
right main panel floodlight brightness increase FO does not understand this command
flight director display brightness increase FO does not understand this command
right flight management guidance computer brightness increase FO does not understand this command
parking brake on ok
flaps up ok
spoilers retract ok
window heat auto ok
crew oxygen supply auto command accepted, switch not moved
emergency exit lights armed command accepted, switch not moved
all fuel pumps on ok
cross bleed auto command accepted, switch not moved
ecam display pressurization command accepted, switch not moved
ecam show recall FO does not understand this command
ecam show doors command accepted, switch not moved
ecam shows hydraulics FO does not understand this command
ecam shows engines FO does not understand this command

You need to be aware, David's flows have been made in Prepar3D where MCE fully supports all major complex planes from PMDG, FsLabs, Aerosoft and others.

Right now, A320 Flybywire mod is only supported to some extent. Pretty much what Asobo default plane provides. Since IRS knobs aren't part of original A320Neo, Fo cannot control them yet, nor does he press ecam buttons.Things will improve over time and eventually, almost all switches will be covered.

<Quote> ecam shows engines </QUOTE>

It's a typo in "shows". Proper commands are "ecam show engines", "ecam display engines".

Agree, nothing wrong with saying "ecam shows engines". When spoken, even if the commmand includes an "s", the speech engine is very likely going to recognize it anyway. But a simulated speech command must be written the way the speech grammar expects it.

Sometimes when a scripted command doesn't go through, try adding a dash like "anti-ice" vs "anti ice"

<Quote> ecam show recall </Quote> Try "ecam press recall",

You could of course make FO understand "ecam show recall", as "ecam press recall" using the aliased command technique outlined in the other post.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:54 PM, danbaz said:

Hello Gerald,

I am finally back to working on a realistic voxscript for the FBW A320 NEO. Today I have spent some hours to compile an overview of what does and what does not work. 

In below table I show commands given and the result. For the ones where the result was not "ok", pls can you help by providing the correct command for the action? Do I understand correctly that even if FBW did something that the switch won't move, MCE should still understand what I am trying to do? That would be a cue to understand where the problem originates.

For lights, ideally the brightness should be relative to the amount of light from outside, but an increase some, increase medium, increase fully or maximum would be good to work with.

I have added the complete PNF preliminary cockpit preparation procedure (excl APU), so battery and wipers are mentioned again.

Appreciate the help already. Hope it was worth my time.

Kind regards / Daniel

Command given Result
start master one off ok
start master two off ok
gear down ok
external power on ok
ecam show electrical command accepted, switch not moved
right weather terrain brightness increase FO does not understand this command
right navigation display brightness increase FO does not understand this command
right primary flight display brightness increase FO does not understand this command
standby instrument display brightness increase FO does not understand this command
right main panel floodlight brightness increase FO does not understand this command
right flight management guidance computer brightness increase FO does not understand this command
parking brake on ok
flaps up ok
spoilers retract ok
window heat auto ok
crew oxygen supply auto command accepted, switch not moved
emergency exit lights armed command accepted, switch not moved
all fuel pumps on ok
cross bleed auto command accepted, switch not moved
ecam display pressurization command accepted, switch not moved
ecam show recall FO does not understand this command
ecam show doors command accepted, switch not moved
ecam shows hydraulics FO does not understand this command
ecam shows engines FO does not understand this command

Hello there.

I use the "Dev" FBW NEO and it's plain to see my flows that were fully functional in P3d are not with this aircraft. Take s look on my You Tube channel and the latest video, landing the FBW Neo at Munich, shows that we have a good level of MCE control, even in the Dev Neo.

FBW update the Dev model every day! That's a crazy update schedule. But they have hundreds of people working on it! Impossible for MCE to keep up with the changes. Time will tell. 

At least the Airbus is one of the easyest of modern Sims to fly. Like the real aircraft, the computers fly it for you.....when they are programmed correctly.

So yes, as we await a finished Neo product, we can tinker away and see how they are developing it. 

I just hope they get around to using an independent FMS flight plan model. That "USR" waypoint that keeps reversing your course is exasperating! Look at the CRJ FMS, that's spot on!

Regards.

😁

Thank you Gerald and David,

It is clear that I have to remain patient for now and that is OK, however I did read that competition is pretty close to releasing their version for this bird. No pressure! 🙂 The typo's were in my Excel sheet only, not in the script. 

I have seen many of your videos David. Thanks for doing those! Will watch the last one soon too.

Just for fun I have looked at what part of this flow would work in the default for those knobs that do work. Here are the results. When these should actually all work, then pls kindly could you provide the right commands?

Kind regards / Daniel

Command given Result default A320
start master one off OK
start master two off OK
gear down OK
external power on OK
left main panel floodlight brightness increase FO does not understand this command
increase glareshield brightness command accepted, switch not moved
parking brake on OK
flaps up OK
spoilers retract command accepted, switch not moved
window heat auto OK
all fuel pumps on OK
ecam show engines FO does not understand this command

Good afternoon,

Busy compiling a flow that has some dialogue. I wondered why the Pause statements were not accepted, until I found that they do work, but they are fired off at beginning of the preceeding Notify statement. When the FO Notify dialog takes 5 seconds and I wish to have 3 seconds until the next item, then the Pause statement should be 5+3 = 8. Is this how it is suposed to work? I first thought the statement after a Notify statement is ran when the Notify statement has fully completed; so after the FO is done speaking. It would make it quite a bit easier on me too as I do not have to time dialog etc.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Kind regards,

Daniel

1 hour ago, danbaz said:

Good afternoon,

Busy compiling a flow that has some dialogue. I wondered why the Pause statements were not accepted, until I found that they do work, but they are fired off at beginning of the preceeding Notify statement. When the FO Notify dialog takes 5 seconds and I wish to have 3 seconds until the next item, then the Pause statement should be 5+3 = 8. Is this how it is suposed to work? I first thought the statement after a Notify statement is ran when the Notify statement has fully completed; so after the FO is done speaking. It would make it quite a bit easier on me too as I do not have to time dialog etc.

Kind regards,

Daniel

A delay of about 2 seconds is always automatically inserted between two consecutive commands so that you don't have to and also to help co-pilot distinguish between a scripted command (where he might need to be silent) and a diect one (where he needs to be vocal).

Only significant pauses (above 4 seconds) should be inserted.

Thanks Gerald,

I have done a lot of tests today and think I figured it out.

For scripted commands like 'all pumps on' the duration of the action is taken into account, the next command starts about 2 seconds after he has switched them on and then concludes that they are on.

For Notify commands the time to speak the text is not included in the duration of the command. The next command starts about 2 seconds after the start of that preceding Notify command. The user should  increase the pause time to cover for this or an overlap will occur. All clear.

Have a nice evening.

Daniel

14 minutes ago, danbaz said:

Thanks Gerald,

I have done a lot of tests today and think I figured it out.

For scripted commands like 'all pumps on' the duration of the action is taken into account, the next command starts about 2 seconds after he has switched them on and then concludes that they are on.

For Notify commands the time to speak the text is not included in the duration of the command. The next command starts about 2 seconds after the start of that preceding Notify command. The user should  increase the pause time to cover for this or an overlap will occur. All clear.

Have a nice evening.

Daniel

Hi Daniel.

If your after cabin sounds to add to your flow...(add to VoxScripts as Sound) head over to "Flightsim.to" and look up "cabin sounds". There's some nifty sounds you can add to your collection. Just plant them in your flow as "sounds" and your there.

If any sounds are not in .wav format, fear not. Download a freeware sound program called Audacity. In Audacity you can convert any sound file to a .wav file.

Pro tip.....in Audacity you can attenuate any sound, including your own voice, into anything you like. You can record your own cabin sounds and your own flight deck sounds and add special effects to them. You can then run them in MCE, in your flows. If you get friends and family to record things, these can be included also.

This is another strength of MCE.

I've added a German cabin crew pursor to my flows....but he's so good he flies for SAS and BA! LOL!

Cheers

David

Edited by charlie130
Typo

Hi David,

At some point I definitely wish to add sounds too. Had already seen how you have added those to the NEO yourself. Can I use some of those if I wanted to?

Thanks for the how-to. I may have more questions when I get to that point. First I want to get the flows right per FCOM. I under-estmated the amount of work that goes into that, but it is also fun to do. 

I think you are talking about Dieter, are you? 😄.

Kind regards,

Daniel

I can now confirm both FlyByWire and Aerosoft CRJ will be fully supported (total speech contol) very soon. No switches out of reach anymore.

The same kind of experience you get with Prepar3D & FSX, will be possible in MSFS.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 2:09 AM, FS++ said:

I can now confirm both FlyByWire and Aerosoft CRJ will be fully supported (total speech contol) very soon. No switches out of reach anymore.

The same kind of experience you get with Prepar3D & FSX, will be possible in MSFS.

Wow! that is amazing news.

Good day Gerald, all,

Pls can you help me with below question I have regarding flows:

1) Can the FO - as part of a flow - read values in the sim and then use that as input to determine which next flow to start?

Examples:

1. Depending on battery voltage FO should connect to external power and let batteries recharge for 20 minutes
  2. Depending on time of day or amount of light present FO should set lighting to a defined setting low/medium/max

2) Instead of giving the FO the command to set something either verbally or in a flow, can you ask him to confirm the current state and only have him correct it if it is in the wrong state/position?

Examples:

1. Instead of "Gear down" could I instruct him to just verify the position of the gear lever? 'Check Gear Lever in down position' --> 'Gear lever is in down position'
    • I know when you instruct Gear Down, he will check and tell you it is already down, but could it begin with a position check, not an action command.
  2. Instead of "Weather radar off" could I instruct him to just verify the weather radar is off? 'Check weather radar is off' --> 'weather radar is off'  or 'weather radar is on, switching off now'

Regards,

Daniel

On 4/27/2021 at 1:36 PM, danbaz said:

Good day Gerald, all,

Pls can you help me with below question I have regarding flows:

1) Can the FO - as part of a flow - read values in the sim and then use that as input to determine which next flow to start?

Examples:

1. Depending on battery voltage FO should connect to external power and let batteries recharge for 20 minutes
  2. Depending on time of day or amount of light present FO should set lighting to a defined setting low/medium/max

2) Instead of giving the FO the command to set something either verbally or in a flow, can you ask him to confirm the current state and only have him correct it if it is in the wrong state/position?

Examples:

1. Instead of "Gear down" could I instruct him to just verify the position of the gear lever? 'Check Gear Lever in down position' --> 'Gear lever is in down position'
    • I know when you instruct Gear Down, he will check and tell you it is already down, but could it begin with a position check, not an action command.
  2. Instead of "Weather radar off" could I instruct him to just verify the weather radar is off? 'Check weather radar is off' --> 'weather radar is off'  or 'weather radar is on, switching off now'

Regards,

Daniel

Topic 1)

This is one of those things that are very likely doable (can't guarantee it across all supported planes and simulators. For instance battery loadt is only guaranteed in MSFS 2020, not P3D or FSX), however, it would back-fire in the long run for 2 reasons.

1 - Only people who would have seen this thread would be aware of that behaviour and many others would be perplexed as to what Gremlins are taking place. The other reason, as mentioned in other threads is not to corner ourselves into another niche of the niche "hardcore multi crew users" who would ideally insert conditions for Fo to only do this if that other condition is satisfied etc..

2. We'd like to keep things in the KISS paradigm (Keep It Simple Stupid) and intuitive of course.

Ideally just speak English commands. 🙂 For those who want to push the envelope and aren't native English speakers, it's possible to teach all crew members to understand any language on the planet. Not kidding, and not many know that.

Regarding topic 2)

You could probably implement such thing yourself.

1. Create a new flow in Voxscript and use the command you suggested "Check Gear Lever in down position".

Once the new trigger senytence is listed, select it and click <Edit>

In next screen, because you don't want this to act as a command for gear down with usual associated reply, disable the verbose option, then click "Edit flow properties"

Now, add the built-in command "gear down". As you won't be hearing the usual reply this time, add a "Notify" statement with anything you like to hear.

2. Do the same for the weather radar command.

If you want a preview of what's coming next for FlyByWire, contact support via e-mail.

Edited by FS++
typos

Thanks for your extensive answer Gerald,

Topic 1: I understand your reasoning with KISS. At my job one of our our mottos - we like to think our strenghts - is to Ebrace Complexity and we try to do that in a KISS way of course. 😀

Just asking to see if there would be a way to satisfy both. Yeah, I am always looking for maximum reaslism and do realise not everything is possible.

Topic 2: So with Verbose off, the Notify statements will stil be heard. Nice. You are right then, I can. Will reach out to support for a preview.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Hi Gerald/Ben,

Nice work on the FBW. Really happy with it! 😀

Many things are working correctly now of course, but a few more than expected items did not work. I was on FBW stable 6.1 and have reverted back to 6.0 just in case, but that does not seem to be the problem, because they still do not work. For below items pls can you let me know if they should work now? IfThen I may need to do a more  thorough reinstall of MCE. I have tried variations on these, but no luck.

Panel Commands Result
center instrument panel engine warning and systems displays ecam press take off config not simulated
center instrument panel engine warning and systems displays ecam show electricity not simulated
center instrument panel engine warning and systems displays ecam display wheel not simulated
center instrument panel engine warning and systems displays ecam show all not simulated
center instrument panel engine warning and systems displays lower ecam on  (and off) Accepted, but does not do anything
center instrument panel engine warning and systems displays upper ecam on  (and off) Accepted, but does not do anything
center instrument panel landing gear panel auto brake low Accepted, but does not do anything
center instrument panel landing gear panel auto brake medium Accepted, but does not do anything
center instrument panel landing gear panel auto brake max Accepted, but does not do anything
center instrument panel landing gear panel brake fan off Accepted, but does not do anything
center instrument panel landing gear panel brake fan on Accepted, but does not do anything

Kind regards,

Daniel