Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

New to MSFS

Hi, I am new to MSFS altought I was an active simmer during FSX and FS2004. I would like to know how to sign in to follow the forum since I will buy a new computer to start using MSFS. My profile (microsoft account  ?) says I am connected but it seems I need an XboX account although for using with pc and not with xbox console. And it seems that Xbox account is paid. I am planning to buy the game in a shop and I also don't know how to get all the coming updates.

Someone to help me? Thanks.

Xbox and Microsoft account should be linked and the purchase would show up there after downloading. Open the Microsoft store login and purchase whichever version of Flight sim you want making sure youve got the xbox app logged in. Then it'll ask you for which drive you want the installer to install then it'll ask you where you want the actual files installed. At this point you can choose to install to either c or a backup drive. Download and goto profile/content manager to download additional stuff if you've bought the Deluxe version.

Edited by 40track
Added info

Having an Xbox account is free and necessary even if you don't have a console. There is no MFS for the console anyway. You have to pay a subscription only if you want to play games with their "pass". This account will give a handle (funny name) that the sim will use.  

The sim is sold with the last update. Then after it updates itself automatically when you start it. Their FS forum is useful but not compulsory.

There are two main sources from which to download MFS : the MS store and the Steam store. MS has a real  bureaucratic talent to complicate everything so I went the Steam way and so far, so good.  Many went the MS store way and are happy too. So don't overthink the matter.  Lots of threads at Avsim on the topic. The price is identical. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

16 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Having an Xbox account is free and necessary even if you don't have a console. There is no MFS for the console anyway. You have to pay a subscription only if you want to play games with their "pass". This account will give a handle (funny name) that the sim will use.  

The sim is sold with the last update. Then after it updates itself automatically when you start it. Their FS forum is useful but not compulsory.

There are two main sources from which to download MFS : the MS store and the Steam store. MS has a real  bureaucratic talent to complicate everything so I went the Steam way and so far, so good.  Many went the MS store way and are happy too. So don't overthink the matter.  Lots of threads at Avsim on the topic. The price is identical. 

But if we go to the store to buy the 10 CDs pacakge how can I download the updates after installing the package?

6 minutes ago, harpsi said:

But if we go to the store to buy the 10 CDs pacakge how can I download the updates after installing the package?

The 10 CD package is really just a collectors item, it contains a version of the game from last August, you will need to be online with a substantial amount of download available to actually install and run the game.  The CD package does NOT give you a playable offline version of the game.

The purpose of the CD package was to give people with a collection of MSFS boxed sets a new box to display on the shelf with the rest of their collection. it is not particularly practical way to buy and install the game, though it will work.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

The 10 CD package is really just a collectors item, it contains a version of the game from last August, you will need to be online with a substantial amount of download available to actually install and run the game.  The CD package does NOT give you a playable offline version of the game.

I just want to play alone and not with multiplayer. Do I need to buy it online as well?

1 minute ago, harpsi said:

I just want to play alone and not with multiplayer. Do I need to buy it online as well?

If you buy the box set you will need to register if with a Xbox for PC user account and then the Microsoft Store will download the current version of the game and install updates.  Probably several hundred gigabytes of updates.

Once you do get it installed the game by default will connect to the internet and continually download scenery data from wherever you fly.   You can turn this off but the game will  look like FSX with awful scenery.

7 minutes ago, harpsi said:

Ha, ha you didn't say that in the first place ! 

If you buy the CD, you will be given sort of a code. Go the Aerosoft site they are the sole distributor of it and will explain everything (I hope !) . 

2 minutes ago, harpsi said:

Playing MP or not is not the point. MFS needs a constant access to the internet. You just buy  the game core and the right to access the MS servers to stream (download) the sceneries in real time. The CD do not contain  the sceneries, you would need thousands of disks.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Ha, ha you didn't say that in the first place ! 

If you buy the CD, you will be given sort of a code. Go the Aerosoft site they are the sole distributor of it and will explain everything (I hope !) . 

Playing MP or not is not the point. MFS needs a constant access to the internet. You just buy  the game core and the right to access the MS servers to stream (download) the sceneries in real time. The CD do not contain  the sceneries, you would need thousands of disks.

But if I buy the game, let's say the standard version which is 69,99 euros, do I also need to pay an extra fee for the regular access to the website for real-time scenery download? 

Sorry, I am new to this... 

Edited by harpsi

7 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

OK, what have you purchased so far ?  Do you own the game yet ?

Not yet... First I need the computer which will come in 10 to 15 days probably. But it will be a dedicated one, so I would like to know things in advance. 😉

Just now, harpsi said:

Not yet... First I need the computer which will come in 10 to 15 days probably. But it will be a dedicated one, so I would like to know things in advance. 😉

OK ... do not buy the 10 CD pack.

You should buy it online either through Steam or the MS online store.

(there is also a trial "Xbox for PC game pass" that lets you try the game for a month but it is not a good way to get the game if you only want MSFS it ends up expensive) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

OK ... do not buy the 10 CD pack.

You should buy it online either through Steam or the MS online store.

(there is also a trial "Xbox for PC game pass" that lets you try the game for a month but it is not a good way to get the game if you only want MSFS it ends up expensive) 

I do not need a trial phase. I was already FSX and FS2004 addicted. 😉 I didn't have P3D due to a computer that is quite old. I am now buying a new one. So, I will definitelly have it. The other one I can install is P3D because it has a lot of variety in terms of sceneries that MSFS doesn't have because it is a recent game.

Edited by harpsi

8 minutes ago, harpsi said:

But if I buy the game, let's say the standard version which is 69,99 euros, do I also need to pay an extra fee for the regular access to the website for real-time scenery download? 

Sorry, I am new to this... 

no, no additional fee, the access comes with the product

• Like 1

Dominique