Sign in to follow this  
YoYo

Any tips for enhanced atmospheric=on in VR [P3Dv5]?

20 hours ago, jon b said:

I don’t know much about program  settings , however you mention AS shows a clear sky when the METAR reports overcast. I think for this Overcast to show you need the “cloud coverage density “  ( bottom right on world menu) turned up full.

There would be clouds with this slider not all the way up, just not enough for an overcast layer. I think what @YoYo is seeing is one of the limitations of EA we currently have to live with. AS can only depict the weather at your current position and that will be the same weather for every other weather station, meaning you will see the same cloud layer all the way up to the horizon. If one is not quite yet within the area for which overcast is reported or if AS hasn't updated yet, there will be different weather conditions there until one enters the area or AS updates.

Another thing is a bug that makes EA clouds not show up initially after scenario start so you will have a clear sky. You then need to go into the weather menu and manually add a random cloud layer which will make the clouds appear. Then start AS and let it do its thing.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

21 hours ago, threegreen said:

Another thing is a bug that makes EA clouds not show up initially after scenario start so you will have a clear sky. You then need to go into the weather menu and manually add a random cloud layer which will make the clouds appear. Then start AS and let it do its thing.

You have right about it. I noticed it and I reported it here too yesterday:

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/clear-sky-if-you-change-any-settings-in-p3dv5.13768/#post-61557

with EA=on, AS not always builds the weather (clouds), if You go to settings and back to the sim (but not always, sometimes I see its ok). Strange.

Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.
Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

On 4/13/2021 at 8:37 AM, YoYo said:

You have right about it. I noticed it and I reported it here too yesterday:

https://forums.hifisimtech.com/threads/clear-sky-if-you-change-any-settings-in-p3dv5.13768/#post-61557

with EA=on, AS not always builds the weather (clouds), if You go to settings and back to the sim (but not always, sometimes I see its ok). Strange.

Yeah, that bug has been present ever since the first P3D 5.0 version. It's not a bug with AS specifically btw, it happens without AS, too.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

4 hours ago, threegreen said:

Yeah, that bug has been present ever since the first P3D 5.0 version. It's not a bug with AS specifically btw, it happens without AS, too.

Thx. I checked, no, it looks like a bug of AS, see this.

Standard weather. I have AA=off, next switch to AA=8xSSAA

JE9oh5Wl.jpg

Still good. Next back to AA=OFF:

Dy95d8ml.jpg

Its ok still.

Now I take ASP3D:

AA=off

BnHXKuzl.jpg

Go to settings, AA= 8xSSAA, still ok.

f91Dxvnl.jpg

Ok, back to AA=OFF

82E2yyKl.jpg

No clouds....

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif
Win 10 64, i9 9900k, RTX 3090 24Gb, RAM32Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: HP Reverb G2

The clouds come back when AS inject new weather, which it does every 15 minutes by default

11 hours ago, andreh said:

The clouds come back when AS inject new weather, which it does every 15 minutes by default

But it not a solution for this issue, just workaround :).

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

17 hours ago, YoYo said:

Thx. I checked, no, it looks like a bug of AS, see this.

It's a bug with EA that has been reported during beta testing of P3D v5 already, according to beta testers, but not been fixed since then. On initial loading of the scenario, often the clouds won't load. It's a P3D/EA bug but the extent appears to vary between users, for example I almost always have clear skies instead of a few clouds (default fair weather theme) without AS too and need to go to the weather menu to get them back. It is only after that that I launch AS and let it control the weather. If AS is running and the clouds won't show up, it's not because of AS but because the new cloud depiction injected by AS wasn't loaded by P3D due to the bug.

Edited by threegreen

7 hours ago, threegreen said:

It's a bug with EA that has been reported during beta testing of P3D v5 already, according to beta testers, but not been fixed since then. On initial loading of the scenario, often the clouds won't load. It's a P3D/EA bug but the extent appears to vary between users, for example I almost always have clear skies instead of a few clouds (default fair weather theme) without AS too and need to go to the weather menu to get them back. It is only after that that I launch AS and let it control the weather. If AS is running and the clouds won't show up, it's not because of AS but because the new cloud depiction injected by AS wasn't loaded by P3D due to the bug.

According my tests it's AS (detailed clouds on). I did now again tests with static ORBX Weather (set 3, 4 and 6), few times changed something, clouds was always. No issue.

Edited by YoYo

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

20 hours ago, YoYo said:

According my tests it's AS (detailed clouds on). I did now again tests with static ORBX Weather (set 3, 4 and 6), few times changed something, clouds was always. No issue.

That's because static weather isn't an injection, it's just loading a preset. AS is relying on simconnect to inject it's weather, and something along that process is failing. 

You can try to force a refresh of the weather if the weather doesn't appear. In the Debug menu click "Refresh Weather" in the commands set. I don't know if this will help, as it will just try to just re-inject but hopefully clouds start appearing after forcing a refresh. Also make sure live weather mode is on, I've accidentally left Custom Static mode on for a very long time 😉

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, arwasairl said:

That's because static weather isn't an injection, it's just loading a preset. AS is relying on simconnect to inject it's weather, and something along that process is failing. 

You can try to force a refresh of the weather if the weather doesn't appear. In the Debug menu click "Refresh Weather" in the commands set. I don't know if this will help, as it will just try to just re-inject but hopefully clouds start appearing after forcing a refresh. Also make sure live weather mode is on, I've accidentally left Custom Static mode on for a very long time 😉

Thx, I will try this button.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif