Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aerostar

Busting speed limits manual departures

How should I perform the   LOWS Salzburg   runway 15  -  INRO1X   departure in the    FSLabs A320   without busting 165knot speed constraint and altitude.

When I try it goes to auto thrust and even resetting to 165K after takeoff it busts the speed in the manual section of this departure.

Would be great to show how in a video segment...

mustang_banner_newstar2777.png

This topic is a great topic and highlights the perspective involved when dealing with departures. It's a combination of analyzing the departure and knowing the capabilities of your aircraft. Departures in general can be flown in different ways depending on what restrictions they bring. Once you have identified those restrictions and analyzed the departure, you can now bounce that against the capabilities of your aircraft. Once you have those connected, you can decide how you want to fly that specific departure. For example, I would find myself in this type of situation when I flew heavies. There would be departures that would have tight turns along with a speed restriction like you have described. I would look at the departure and think. At 5 miles from the departure end, I have a tight left turn at 165 knots, turning me away from cumulus granite. My standard heavy departure profile is straight ahead, accel at 1500ft, clean up on schedule and accel to 250 knots or minimum maneuver, which ever is greater. I then connect the two to decide how I would fly it. Depending on the restriction, I would normally fly this in LNAV with the FMS, makes life easier. The lateral is taking care of. Now I have to think of the speed. My FMS can drive my autothrottles, but I have a conflict with my standard departure profile and the speed. With 165 in mind, I need to look at my departure speeds first. My speed of concern is flap retract speed. If VFR is 162 knots, I will fly VFR for the departure and keep the flaps at the takeoff position until I am past the restriction of 165K and proceed with accel and clean up. Maybe that speed is above 165 because I'm heavy. If so, I can do a performance analysis to see if I can takeoff with more flaps and still meet requirements, such as climb gradients. If not, I notify the ATC that I can't accept that departure. If at VFR my turn radius is tight and keeps me from spilling out instead of cleaning up and being limited to 15 degrees bank while below min man for configuration. At VFR with flaps at takeoff, I have bank protection. In that case, I will set a manual speed of VFR for the auto throttles at 1500ft/accel height and leave it in FMS.

Long way to your answer, but wanted to give you insight into what will drives your decision on how you will fly it. In your case, you have to decide if you can fly that departure at 165K clean. Probably not. In most cases, some aircraft, like the airbus will not allow you to fly below min safe speed clean. You might have to fly it at VFR and manually dial it in and set it after you are safely at accel height. Once past the turn, clean up and bug up.

Don't have a definitive answer, but what is your flaps configuration on the takeoff?  If I was trying to keep my speed that low, I would probably go with a Flaps 3 takeoff.  Haven't tried it on this takeoff though.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.