Sign in to follow this  
Mikeingreen

CJ4 FMS help

I am looking for a guide/checklist for what needs to be entered into the FMS system in order to fly with ILS and Vnav. I have watched the training videos and know there are quite a few entries to make it all work. I have also read the User guide but still not getting it. I tried a flight yesterday and while I got to the arrival airport Vnav didn't work and ILS was way off. If needed I am going to go back to the videos and make my own, but figured there is no use reinventing the wheel if there is already something available.

I think my ILS problem might have been I didn't manually enter the ILS frequency into the FMS, but not sure about that. Trying to learn this stuff from scratch is hard.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

Have you got the Working Title mod installed, or are you using the default? Not sure what is working in the default tbh....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Assuming you are using the WT CJ4 (if not, you should do so), it's basically entering a route (I assume you have entered at least a departure and an arrival airport as you got near your arrival airport and maybe some airways/waypoints. Via the "Dep/Arr" page, and there "Dep/arrival index" you select the approach you want to shoot (ILS in your case), an appropriate arrival (STAR) and transition. And here's where I think your trouble comes from: After having entered all these data there's possibly at least one "Discontinuity" on the LEGS page. In order for a fully FMS-managed flight (there are good reasons not to clear some disco's- but lets keep it simple) you need to delete those discontinuities with either the CLR/DEL button or by inserting the next waypoint (copy and paste with the respective LSK keys) instead of the discontinuity. At the TOD with VNAV engaged you dial in the platform altitude of your approach, manage the speed and everything else is done by the autopilot. Especially for 3rd party airports you will most likely have to tune the ILS manually via the TUNE page as most developers still don't include the necessary data with their scenery. Having done all that, the NAV-to-NAV transfer should switch to LOC/GS mode once you are established and down you go. Hope that helps...

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

I am using the WT Mod. I did have a Discontinuity but I deleted that. I never did get the TOD Icon on the route is why I figure I missed something in the FMS. The Flightplan was imported from Simbrief if that makes a difference. I was following the Sim's ATC but I can't say for sure if they fouled up the Altitude clearances but I was too high when I reached the start of the ILS approach, I think.

Right now I have to finish one of the Wife's businesses taxes so I probably won't get back to figuring this out until tomorrow 😞

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

17 minutes ago, Mikeingreen said:

I am using the WT Mod. I did have a Discontinuity but I deleted that. I never did get the TOD Icon on the route is why I figure I missed something in the FMS. The Flightplan was imported from Simbrief if that makes a difference. I was following the Sim's ATC but I can't say for sure if they fouled up the Altitude clearances but I was too high when I reached the start of the ILS approach, I think.

Right now I have to finish one of the Wife's businesses taxes so I probably won't get back to figuring this out until tomorrow 😞

There is a 100 page manual as well if you haven't perused it yet

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

Possibly try entering your plan manually? 

To get TOD you don't actually need to select an approach, just give it something to work to. If ATC hasn't given me an approach I'll just put a restriction in the final (destination) way point and then let it recalculate once I select the approach.

If you ensure FMS TEXT is selected for the Upper MFD section, then you can select it to display VNAV (time, distance to TOD and VS Required) in there..

G

29 minutes ago, Flyfaster_MTN002 said:

There is a 100 page manual as well if you haven't perused it yet

I have read through it once looking for answers but it was more of a skim over what didn't pertain to some of my questions.

25 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

Possibly try entering your plan manually? 

To get TOD you don't actually need to select an approach, just give it something to work to. If ATC hasn't given me an approach I'll just put a restriction in the final (destination) way point and then let it recalculate once I select the approach.

If you ensure FMS TEXT is selected for the Upper MFD section, then you can select it to display VNAV (time, distance to TOD and VS Required) in there..

G

Do you mean A. Load the Simbrief plan in the World Map but don't load it into the FMS. B. Enter the Plan form scratch in the FMS?

I've never loaded a plan via Simbrief, but to troubleshoot I'd at least manually select your approach, see if that makes a difference.

G