Sign in to follow this  
captain420

I miss the realair lancair legacy so much

6 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

Personally, I will take the Mustang. Seen the new Shelbys lately?

Honda Civic Type-R for a fraction of the price.  This video is a stock Type-R in regard to performance with the exception of tires, which were still a consumer available tire in the stock tire size.  Had to add a roll cage which replaced the weight of the removal of the rear seats to accomodate the cage.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/the-honda-civic-type-r-has-set-a-nurburgring-lap-record-hot-hatch-watch-it-here

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

11 hours ago, fppilot said:

Honda Civic Type-R for a fraction of the price.  This video is a stock Type-R in regard to performance with the exception of tires, which were still a consumer available tire in the stock tire size.  Had to add a roll cage which replaced the weight of the removal of the rear seats to accomodate the cage.
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-hatch/the-honda-civic-type-r-has-set-a-nurburgring-lap-record-hot-hatch-watch-it-here

While I admire the technology of wringing so much power out of engines so small there is just something visceral about 600 plus horsepower small block v-8s roaring through a pair of very large pipes and tuned mufflers.

Like the roar, not so much the angry hornet. And, most advantages of the imports come from weight and driveline considerations. Mustang's are always tail happy tire burners.

47 minutes ago, Gary1124 said:

Mustang's are always tail happy tire burners.

No argument.  But ITRW roads are not so straight! And I'd rather drive mile after mile of twisty-turnies than a portion of a mile in a straight line.  I worked in the motorcycle industry for 25 years, Raced AKF formula karts and raced Forumla Fords 30 years ago.......  A Cortina engine in a FF trumps what you feel in a Shelby.  But the karts with twin "Mini-Mac 90's" Mcculloch two-stroke chain saw motors, modded with roller bearings, burning "pop" and revving at up to 18,000 RPMs provided the fastest acceleration I have ever experienced.  And the CG of the karts was incredible for road courses.  At Indianapolis Raceway Parks road course and at Mid-Ohio such IKF Karts held track records over Indycar, SCCA, and AMA Roadracing.

The Shelby's are admittedly much better C-magnets!  But I can steal your girlfriend and outrun you in the Type R! LOL

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

No argument.  But ITRW roads are not so straight! And I'd rather drive mile after mile of twisty-turnies than a portion of a mile in a straight line.  I worked in the motorcycle industry for 25 years, Raced AKF formula karts and raced Forumla Fords 30 years ago.......  A Cortina engine in a FF trumps what you feel in a Shelby.  But the karts with twin "Mini-Mac 90's" Mcculloch two-stroke chain saw motors, modded with roller bearings, burning "pop" and revving at up to 18,000 RPMs provided the fastest acceleration I have ever experienced.  And the CG of the karts was incredible for road courses.  At Indianapolis Raceway Parks road course and at Mid-Ohio such IKF Karts held track records over Indycar, SCCA, and AMA Roadracing.

The Shelby's are admittedly much better C-magnets!  But I can steal your girlfriend and outrun you in the Type R! LOL

Power to weight and distribution. I get that. But Mustangs are so iconic and fun. They are okay as passenger cars go on twisties these days with a little throttle induced oversteer. I guess my 60s roots are showing. They look si darn good to.😀😀😀

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fppilot said:

The Shelby's are admittedly much better C-magnets!

I courted my wife while driving a ratty old rusted out CRX Si with the stock motor. The good ones don't care what you drive. 😉

True that. I drive a 01 Malibu right now. 2400 buck cash. 95k on it now 174k. 48 mile commute. I ain't making payments on a newer car that I will kill in two years going to work and my lady is good with the malibu and my rusting 02 Silvarado.