Sign in to follow this  
ThrottleUp

Wingviews - external cam only? (Which plays external sounds)

TLDR

Do you hear external sounds when using wingviews because the cam cannot be placed inside?

FULL

I dont have the game yet but close to getting it and I'm busy watching videos to get up to speed on tweaking and such. I just watched a good video on wingviews (below).

To create the wingview the tutorial showed how to set a view, exit the sim, load the camera.cfg in a text editor and play with the XYZ cords to place the camera outside the airplane. Then load the sim and translate to the desired wingview.

Unless things have since changed (the video is from Nov 2020) I cant help feeling a little 😕 as this means one of my biggest annoyances from FSX has carried over to MSFS: because the wingview cam sits outside you will hear external engine noise, external engine exhaust & external environmental sounds while the viewpoint is supposedly you in the cabin looking out the window.

Is this still the case? If so why couldn't MS/Asobo let the user translate backwards from the flight deck to the cabin window position thereby keeping internal sounds like you'd hear as a pax? Secondly - back to tweaking text files to get cam views? Yes its very easy to do but I'm again left wondering - why? Hoping that future updates remove the need for setting up cam views. 

To be clear I'm still very much looking forward to and excited to get MSFS 😀these are not deal breakers for me but they still niggle. When I set a wingview on the A320 I dont wanna feel like I am strapped to the wing 😁

• Like 1

The video posted by ThrottleUp alters the Camera.cfg file.  Does anybody know if the Camera.cfg file is overwritten when a new patch is downloaded?  Because it would suck if we do all the work to setup the wing view, but then a new patch erases all our work and we have to do it again, for every patch. 

• Upvote 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

Unless things have since changed (the video is from Nov 2020) I cant help feeling a little 😕 as this means one of my biggest annoyances from FSX has carried over to MSFS: because the wingview cam sits outside you will hear external engine noise, external engine exhaust & external environmental sounds while the viewpoint is supposedly you in the cabin looking out the window.

If you set up the camera views as described in the video, the sounds will be internal, as the view is considered a "flight deck" view, even though it may be outside the plane.

Each camera view includes a "Category" setting, which I believe controls which sounds are heard with that view (it may control other things as well). So far I have seen these categories, "Cockpit", "Outside", "Tower", "Runway", "AirTraffic", and "MulitPlayer". I'm not sure if any of these other than the first two are actually being used in the sim at this time.

...jim

• Like 2

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

The video posted by ThrottleUp alters the Camera.cfg file.  Does anybody know if the Camera.cfg file is overwritten when a new patch is downloaded?  Because it would suck if we do all the work to setup the wing view, but then a new patch erases all our work and we have to do it again, for every patch. 

My understanding is that the individual airplane camera.cfg files are NOT overwritten when a new patch is downloaded. At least, so far, my custom cameras have not been overwritten.

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Thanks for all your responses. One more question - the sounds are FOMOD?

5 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

I would just right-click and zip it with 7zip as a backup! 🙂

4 hours ago, JimBrown said:

If you set up the camera views as described in the video, the sounds will be internal, as the view is considered a "flight deck" view, even though it may be outside the plane.

Each camera view includes a "Category" setting, which I believe controls which sounds are heard with that view (it may control other things as well). So far I have seen these categories, "Cockpit", "Outside", "Tower", "Runway", "AirTraffic", and "MulitPlayer". I'm not sure if any of these other than the first two are actually being used in the sim at this time.

...jim

Oh I see good point I forgot to note that , the wingview cam is derived from the flight deck position so it will play cabin sounds. Thanks for clarifying, that is a lot like FSX if I recall correctly. 

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Cool site, bookmarked!

The above video is outdated and pointless. Download the mod I linked two posts up, and you have all the wingviews you want. It takes three minutes to set up. Follow the installation instructions carefully. 

10 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

The above video is outdated and pointless. Download the mod I linked two posts up, and you have all the wingviews you want. It takes three minutes to set up. Follow the installation instructions carefully. 

I would not say that the above video is outdated and pointless. Yes, the mod you linked to is excellent and provides some great camera views. However, if one wants to make their own views, the instructions provided in the video are still applicable.

...jim

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JimBrown said:

I would not say that the above video is outdated and pointless. Yes, the mod you linked to is excellent and provides some great camera views. However, if one wants to make their own views, the instructions provided in the video are still applicable.

Yeah, you could also churn your own butter.😀 In addition, the mod I linked to does allow to move the camera around and modify the views.