Sign in to follow this  
SimeonWilbury

Odd startup behaviour

Hi all,

I've noticed a slightly odd issue with my copy of P3D on startup which I thought I'd throw out in case anyone has had a similar issue.

Essentially I have a desktop shortcut for P3D with the compatability settings set to start the sim as Administrator, which would seem simple enough. However on a number of occasions I have started my sim only to check a few minutes later to see the splash screen has vanished. It turns out that when using this short-cut to start P3D it crashes to desktop on startup shortly after opening Chaseplane.

Oddly enough, when I start the sim from the Start Menu (via right clicking and selecting run as administrator), the sim starts with zero problems.

I'm slightly confused by this, now that I'm aware it's only a minor inconvenience, but I thought I would post in case anybody has had a similar experience with this sort of problem and is aware of what the problem/ solution may be?

I am currently on Windows 10 if this helps at all.

Many thanks,

Martin

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

In properties, have you set the sim for the OS you are using. If W10, set for Windows 8 which is the most recent one in the compatibility settings. And, yes, that is odd, isn't it?

Sherm

2 minutes ago, shermank said:

In properties, have you set the sim for the OS you are using. If W10, set for Windows 8 which is the most recent one in the compatibility settings. And, yes, that is odd, isn't it?

Sherm

It does seem odd, although unfortunately I now appear to be getting the same behaviour when launching from the start menu just now, which may mean something deeper is wrong. Nothing showing up in event viewer so unfortunately going to be a bit of a pain to troubleshoot. I'll give your solution a go and see if it fixes anything.

Edited by SimeonWilbury

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

One other thought...delete the shortcut from your desktop and reset it...

Sherm

1 minute ago, shermank said:

One other thought...delete the shortcut from your desktop and reset it...

Sherm

given that it's now doing it even when launched from the start menu I fear that won't do much, unfortunately I think I need to go and troubleshoot. Might possibly be a corrupted .cfg or something similar though will be a pain if that is the case.

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

You could also delete prepar3d.cfg and let it rebuild when you start the sim

2 minutes ago, shermank said:

You could also delete prepar3d.cfg and let it rebuild when you start the sim

I'll probably give that a try later, though oddly enough launching directly from the P3D Folder seems to have worked. Must say I'm a bit baffled by the inconsistency at the moment.

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

As an update from this morning:

Regenerating the p3d.cfg file seems to have worked. Probably ought to have reckoned that was a possible cause before posting here, however the issue is fixed nonetheless.

Many thanks for the help.

Edited by SimeonWilbury
typo
  • Like 1

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

And now I've been hit by a kernelbase.dll error on approach. So perhaps not fixed after all, I'll make another thread if that happens to me again probably.

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png