Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Making a Gauge Cab File

I have read the SDK and am still really confused. I have a gauge folder called hja_jet. I want to put the XML gauges in this folder into a cab type file called hja_jet.cab. The SDK says: To create a .cab file1. Open a Command Prompt.2. Type cabdir [switches] source_dir [dest_cab].The path for gauge is:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XGaugeshja_jetThe cabdir.exe is in the SDK folder. I don't think I need any switches. I tried typing at the Run Command Prompt:cabdir C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XGaugeshja_jet hja_jet.cabI get an error that cabdir cannot be found. What exactly do I need,step by step, to do to make the cab file? Thanks, regards, Bob.

>I have read the SDK and am still really confused. I have a>gauge folder called hja_jet. I want to put the XML gauges in>this folder into a cab type file called hja_jet.cab. The SDK>says: >>To create a .cab file>>1. Open a Command Prompt.>2. Type cabdir [switches] source_dir [dest_cab].>>The path for gauge is:>>C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator>XGaugeshja_jet>>The cabdir.exe is in the SDK folder. I don't think I need any>switches. >>I tried typing at the Run Command Prompt:>>cabdir C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight>Simulator XGaugeshja_jet hja_jet.cab>>I get an error that cabdir cannot be found. What exactly do I>need,step by step, to do to make the cab file? Thanks,>regards, Bob.]Methinks you need to first do a CD ( change directory ) to the folder where cabdir.exe is located. Then enter that command line.A better way to do it is to just drag & drop. Open two windows.One in the cabdir folder and the other in the folder that containsyour XML gauge folder. Drag & drop the XML gauge folder to cabdir.exe.It should create the .cab file in the same directory as the XML guagefolder. Paul >

Wide-5.jpg

Hi Paul. Thanks. That's what makes me mad about Microsoft and Aces. Why didn't they just say that in the SDK? They make everything sound so complicated and don't give any specific examples. I used your drag and drop and it worked GREAT. The whole SDK is written by experts and can only be understood by like experts. Someone should take it and just make a simple "SDK for Dummies" that would be easily understood by the casual user. I really do appreciate your help. Best regards, Bob.

>Someone should take it and just make a simple>"SDK for Dummies" that would be easily understood by the>casual user. I really do appreciate your help. Best regards,>Bob. Bob, there is one - sort of - called the "MSFS Aircraft & Panel Design" forum right here at AVSIM!http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=122Do you think it's just possible that this same question has been asked and answered at least a few dozen times over the past few years? ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Bill. Thanks. I did a search for CAB here in this Forum with no applicable hits. I did not try the Panel Forum. My mistake. Please forgive me. Best regards, Bob.

>Hi Bill. Thanks. I did a search for CAB here in this Forum>with no applicable hits. I did not try the Panel Forum. My>mistake. Please forgive me. Best regards, Bob.LOL! It happens to the best of us Bob... no harm no foul! ;)Just don't go to the ladies dress shop looking for a spark plug next time...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bob you can also put the directory where cabdir.exe is, in your PATH environment variable.For example, my PATH environment var looks like this:PATH=C:WINDOWSsystem32;C:WINDOWS;C:WINDOWSSystem32Wbem;E:SDKSDKEnvironment KitBGL Compiler SDK;E:FSTOOLSBGLX...notice I have the directories for my BGL Compiler SDK in there. That's so that I can run bglcomp.exe from ANY command line.No matter what directory I am currently in.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB