Sign in to follow this  
kmanning

Updating Nvidia Driver for my New Windows 10 Pro

I've recently got a new computer with Windows 10 Pro. It has the Windows Nvidia driver version 26.21.14.3200, which is 432.00. I think this is the Windows version and is not the Nvidia version, and you won't find that version on their website. But I wanted to be sure about something before installing the latest version from Nvidia. In Device Manager, it shows my display device, or adapter, which is the Nvidia GeForce GTX-960. My question is do I need to uninstall this driver before installing the Nvidia driver? It does not show any Nvidia drivers in the Apps and Features but I wondered if I still need to uninstall this Windows version from the Device Manager first.

I also know that since I'm not going to remove my graphics card, restarting the computer will re-install the same Windows driver so I was wondering that should I only uninstall the driver from the Device Manager without restarting the computer and then install the updated driver. Or should I just update the Nvidia driver without uninstalling the Windows 10 driver version first?

Ken Manning

Edited by kmanning

Is there anyone here that can answer my question? 57 has viewed but I haven't heard anything. But I prefer someone who is knowlegable in this area.

Ken.

Edited by kmanning

Yes you should uninstall the current driver.

Ideally use the DDU utility to clean uninstall the Windows version, then download the latest driver from Nvidia and install that - preferably use the NvidiaCleanInstall utility to do that in order to avoid the extra bloatware.

Hope this helps.

Ray

59 minutes ago, rayharris108 said:

Yes you should uninstall the current driver.

Ideally use the DDU utility to clean uninstall the Windows version, then download the latest driver from Nvidia and install that - preferably use the NvidiaCleanInstall utility to do that in order to avoid the extra bloatware.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the answer and I'll use that utility DDU to uninstall the Windows 10 version. But I have a question. After I uninstall the Windows version using the DDU, should I still reboot the computer? I'm thinking that if I reboot, Windows 10 will try to reinstalled the same version because Windows 10 will try to search for drivers. Can you advise me about that and what I should do?

Ken.

Edited by kmanning

Ken, no need to go through the trouble of uninstalling the current drivers, even if using DDU, because as you stated, upon reboot, Windows will re-install its own version of the driver. It is a catch 22.

When I got my new computer, Windows initially installed some older drivers, and I simply installed the latest NVidia official drivers (it will replace the windows one) and never had a problem with it. 

I only ever used DDU when changing video card manufacturer (going from AMD to NVidia, or vice-versa)

Normand

Intel i7 14700K @ 5.6 GHz / Asus ROG STRIX Z790E Wi-Fi / 32GB DDR5 6400 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 1000 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 11

9 hours ago, NBouc said:

Ken, no need to go through the trouble of uninstalling the current drivers, even if using DDU, because as you stated, upon reboot, Windows will re-install its own version of the driver. It is a catch 22.

When I got my new computer, Windows initially installed some older drivers, and I simply installed the latest NVidia official drivers (it will replace the windows one) and never had a problem with it. 

I only ever used DDU when changing video card manufacturer (going from AMD to NVidia, or vice-versa)

But the thing that can be done is to disconnect from the internet so that it doesn't download and install their version. Every time I first turn on my computer and the splash screen comes up, it always goes out of focus just before going to the desktop home screen. It did not do that when I first got this computer, and when I would uninstall the Nvidia driver and reboot, the splash screen remains in focus and looks fine. Even though the Manufacture's version may replace Windows 10 Version, it's still sitting in the background, and I prefer that no other driver be installed.

Ken.

Unplugging the internet is one way to do it, but you can also disable automatic driver updates completely.

I use O&O Shutup10 for that and many other things. Anyone on Win10 who cares about privacy and performance should use this (or other similar) software to tweak their operating system.

Edited by neumanix
  • Upvote 1