Sign in to follow this  
jt233

Flying from Los Angeles to Johannesburg.

Sorry if this not the best forums for this question but I figured it was the closest one to what I need help with

So I would really love to try and do this flight in P3D, but I am bot sure if there are any aircraft capable of handling this and staying withing all the regulations. So is there any aircraft that is capable of making this flight if I don't have any passengers or cargo? I think the 777-200LR can just barely make it when empty but not sure if you would have enough reserves or not.

Jason Thiers

Throwing a few bits of info at PFPX, with this mornings weather and little to no checking, it appears a 772ER would handle that flight just fine.

I used a route of:

KLAX LAXX1 TRM J169 KOFFA DCT BXK J184 EWM DCT JCT J86 LEV Q102 CIGAR Y290 BAGGS DCT RSW DCT VKZ BR53V SKIPS Y290 HAGIT Y308 ACONY Y280 GABAR UG633 ANU UL695 EGIMI UL375 DIGOR UL695 FHAW DCT 10S010W 16S000E 20S010E DCT NEVEP UM431 VEDRY UP301 TETUS UN181 PEDIL UQ19 AVAGO AVAG1D FAOR

and TBPB SBRF FHAW and FYWH as ETOPS airports

A payload of 23.6t and cost index 0 gave fuel required 136146kgs, trip time 18:58 burning 126927kgs.

I'm sure many other aircraft would be able to achieve this.

Hope this helps,

Ian

On 7/5/2021 at 3:38 AM, iwebber said:

Throwing a few bits of info at PFPX, with this mornings weather and little to no checking, it appears a 772ER would handle that flight just fine.

I used a route of:

KLAX LAXX1 TRM J169 KOFFA DCT BXK J184 EWM DCT JCT J86 LEV Q102 CIGAR Y290 BAGGS DCT RSW DCT VKZ BR53V SKIPS Y290 HAGIT Y308 ACONY Y280 GABAR UG633 ANU UL695 EGIMI UL375 DIGOR UL695 FHAW DCT 10S010W 16S000E 20S010E DCT NEVEP UM431 VEDRY UP301 TETUS UN181 PEDIL UQ19 AVAGO AVAG1D FAOR

and TBPB SBRF FHAW and FYWH as ETOPS airports

A payload of 23.6t and cost index 0 gave fuel required 136146kgs, trip time 18:58 burning 126927kgs.

I'm sure many other aircraft would be able to achieve this.

Hope this helps,

Ian

Sorry for the late response, and thanks for the detailed info. I definitely want to make this flight but know it's going to be a long one, so I will probably run part of it overnight.

Jason Thiers

LAX-JNB is exactly the kind of flight I love doing. It shows up as 16,712 km on Great Circle Mapper

I've been doing a lot of 777-200LR flights roughly in the 14,000 to 18,000 km range. Up until about 17,000 km is quite easy with moderate payloads, roughly coincides with the Sydney-London nonstop distance. But I use the 3 aux fuel tank option on PMDG, and always manually enter 500 kg as a rough estimate for the aux fuel tank installation for the aft cargo compartment in the payload manager, since I don't think you'd be able to carry actual cargo and have 3 additional aux tanks in that compartment at the same time. I'm also not quite sure what do do about the aft cargo heat selector on the overhead panel, so I just leave it on low.

I also like to use FreeMapTools to look at potential flights in the 14k-18k range.